OpenVPN client IP address

I have an AR300M and I am using Nordvpn, everything is working fine however there is one thing I do not understand and wondered if some-one could explain it? When I open the OpenVPN client page the status is ‘connected’ but the IP address is 10.8.8.x depending on which imported config file I am using to connect to Nordvpn Servers. I am assuming that a 10 series address is an internal address, my local network uses 192 series addresses so where are the 10 series addresses coming from and why isn’t it showing the Nordvpn server address in the IP address field?

10.x.x.x is private IP address. It is not public Internet IP address.

This IP is given by your vpn server.

That is what I am querying, I am using an AR300m to setup a VPN client to connect to one of Nordvpns VPN servers so the IP address should be an external IP address given to me by Nordvpns VPN server? Instead my VPN client is connecting to a local VPN Server and being given a private IP address, is this a man in the middle attack or is something else less sinister going on?

What IP do you get here: http://www.iplocationfinder.com

@alzhao - I’m guessing the private IP address shown in the screenshot is the client address allocated by the Nordvpn server rather than the server address that Openvpn client has connected to?

@cfmts, I didn’t get what you mean. Can you describe in another way.

I have the same issue with OpenVPN and PIA. It’s showing a 10.x.x.x IP. Any reason why it’s displaying this IP and not the IP I get when I look up my public IP address?

It’s just the way Nord works.

I don’t have Nord though. Connecting my ddwrt router to PIA VPN, it displays the proper external address assigned by the VPN.

I’m not a network expert but I eventually worked this out, it’s because the connection between you and the VPN provider is a private connection, the 10 series address is a private address issued to you by the VPN providers server that you’ve connected to. It’s only when the VPN Server goes out onto the internet that the public address comes into play, think of it a bit like your own home network with private addresses your side of the router, exactly the same think is happening at the VPN providers side with private addresses given to customers that are then translated into public addresses for the internet.

… vpn is a private tunnel from you to the vpn provider on both ends of the tunnel there are virtual network interfaces and in order to exchange packets you need ip addressing. The vpn server gives your virtual interface ip from its chosen private range having one subnet with the virtual interface of the server vpn …! of course this subnet should not match your internal or external addressing, otherwise the routing errors of the packets will begin. …just because it works…

Does this explain why it’s possible that DHCP clients from my main LAN that uses the 10.0.0.X IP show up as connected DHCP clients in the GUI?