OpenVPN not connection - how to troubleshoot?

Have tried to connect my friends GL-AR300M from my router to his home router, but the OpenVPN connection seemingly fails. I am a bit lost on how to troubleshoot this, as the only thing I can see from the log is this:

OpenVpn is connecting ...
Last log SIGUSR1[soft,ping-restart] received, process restarting WARNING: --ns-cert-type is DEPRECATED. Use --remote-cert-tls instead. TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]100.82.220.xxx:1194 UDP link local: (not bound) UDP link remote: [AF_INET]100.82.220.xxx:1194
Where can I find the error log?

maybe your can used this commad to find out the log of openvpn:

logread | grep openvpn

Thanks tangxiusi. However I don’t know where the launch such a command. Maybe in the avanced admin section (luci), however this is blocked by user/password not revealed in the docs.

I manually changed a deprecated command in the ovpn-file, and that helped, so now it seems as if the log boils down to this:

OpenVpn is: not started Last log: TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]100.82.220.xxx:1194 UDP link local: (not bound) UDP link remote: [AF_INET]100.82.220.xxx:1194 event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4) SIGTERM[hard,] received, process exiting
I know the Openvpn server is started, and the dyndns points to the correct ip address. So the Openvpn client (the mini), is reaching the openvpn server. However, any clue on what the above could indicate? Is the status "Openvpn is: not started" referring to the openvpn server?

I suspect that the router running the openvpn server is generating an incorrect ovpn file. The data in the ovpn-file before the certificate is as shown underneath:

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote xxxxxxxxx.asuscomm.com 1194
float
comp-lzo adaptive
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
ns-cert-type server

I know that “ns-cert-type” is deprecated, and have tried to replace it with “remote-cert-tls”. However, that does not help.

The mini router shows this error:

OpenVpn is connecting ...
Last log [UNDEF] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting SIGUSR1[soft,ping-restart] received, process restarting TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]100.82.220.xxx:1194 UDP link local: (not bound) UDP link remote: [AF_INET]100.82.220.xxx:1194

First, you ensure 100.82.200.xxx is the correct IP of your Asus address, right?

Can you connect to your Asus openvpn server using other software?

I have a Asus router and openvpn server on it and I can connect without problem.

Thanks Alzhao,

The ip-address is correct, and like you I have it working on my own setup with a minirouter connecting to an ASUS openvpn. I suspect that maybe this is due to a problem with my friends particular ASUS model. I find it strange that the ovpn file can be downloaded immediately after making changes in settings. I remember from my own setup that generating the ovpn-file took some time.

Anyway, I am away from the router now and cannot do any testing at the moment.