OpenVPN not working on GL-MT300A and GL-AR300M

My first post here as I’m fairly new to GL-iNet so please be gentle! :slight_smile:

I have just bought a GL-AR300M to supplement the GL-MT300A I’ve been using when travelling for sharing WiFi in hotels with my devices. My intent is to install NordVPN on both, using one as the VPN router (client) for my home network and one for travelling.

They are both working as repeaters but OpenVPN refuses to work on both and I’m at a loss about how to diagnose this issue. I can set up Windows and Android devices on my home network with OpenVPN / NordVPN and both work fine so I imagine that the network is OK and that this problem relates to something I’m doing on the GL-iNet devices, not the network.

The firmware versions are 2.264 for the GL-MT300A and 2.27 for the GL-AR300M.

Both have the same problem so I’ll describe what the GL-MT300A is doing. I set it up as a WiFi repeater. In the OpenVPN screen I add a OpenVPN config file that I’ve downloaded from NordVPN for the GL-iNet. It requests my NordVPN credentials, I add these and then hit Submit. It responds ‘Please wait’ and then stops - it doesn’t go to the next step no matter how long I wait.

Pleas help me figure out what I’m doing wrong!

Thanks.

Richard

When you say you’ve set it up as a repeater, do you have internet?
Are you uploading a zip file of OVPN configs or just one server?
Try uploading from a different computer.
Try upgrading to the latest “test” V3 firmware.
Double-check your login credentials.

Thanks, Glitch. See my responses to your questions below:

When you say you’ve set it up as a repeater, do you have internet? Yes, at the time I had OpenVPN running on other devices and had good broadband on the wired and WiFi networks. I also checked that the GL-iNet device had Internet before trying (by both browsing through it and by letting it do a check for new firmware)

Are you uploading a zip file of OVPN configs or just one server? Both - at different times. I’ve used one server at a time, both UPD and TCP and have also tried using a Zip file with all UK servers. Same results.

Try uploading from a different computer. Now this I haven’t tried so thank you. I’ll have to figure out how to do it as I only have one suitable PC.

Try upgrading to the latest “test” V3 firmware. Again, not tried this. Was nervous to experiment with firmware with my limited experience as I don’t want to brick them! I’ll read up on this and try it.

Double-check your login credentials. I am using a password manager and know the credentials are correct as I used them to log in to my NordVPN account. I’ve also transcribed them from the PWD manager to my phone to test it from there.

Thanks again - all very useful!

Richard