Option guest in /etc/config/wireless

I installed firmware file openwrt-ar300m-3.022-0329.tar on my AR300M. In the GL UI I created a wifi guest network. Then I inspected the files wireless and network in the directory /etc/config.

In the file wireless I found a line with “option guest ‘1’”. The openwrt docs for the file wireless don’t show any option guest, so I guess, it must be something GL specific.

What’s the effect of specifying “option guest” in the wifi-iface section of the file wireless in detail? Specially with the value 0 and 1. Where is the place in the luci UI to place the option guest in the wireless definition file?

Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

Barney

As you said, it must be a GL specific.

It means nothing to OpenWrt. It is used by our UI to identify which is guest wifi network and what is the firewall policy for it. For example, if you turn on/off guest network from the UI, the router will use this option to find the correct WiFi interface.

As it means nothing to OpenWrt, it means nothing in Luci.

Thanks for your reply.

Can you elaborately explain the different actions of the GL firmware, depending on the values 0 and 1 for the option guest. Specially:

1. how is the wifi-iface handled (depending on the values 0 and 1)
  2. are additional params added to other files in /etc/config (depending on the values 0 and 1)
  3. what happens, when I change the value for the option guest from 0 to 1 (assuming 0 is the default value if the option guest is absent) and vice a versa

In the meantime I defined an additional wifi net with corresponding entries in wireless, network, dhcp and firewall. Except for names and IP addresses the entries for my new wifi iface and the GL created guest network were completely identic, with one exception: the GL created definitions contain the option guest in the file wireless.

Therefore I’am very eager to know. what the GL software does with this new option, depending on the value 0 and 1. I hope, you can give a comprehensive explanation.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

Barney