PCVR Streaming with GL.iNet Routers: A Call for Community Insights and Mega Thread Creation

Kindly thanks for your deeply test.And you show us a new path of using our router. Some of our customer also use it in VR gaming. We will do a research about VR usage of our router.

1 Like

Hello! No problem, I’ll send it to you as soon as I fire up my Beryl again. Thanks!

Wow, that’s awesome! I’m part of a Brazilian VR gaming and user group with around 1200 members, and they often ask me for advice on dedicated VR Wi-Fi routers. I think your routers are amazing and I would love to recommend them to others. The thing about dedicated Wi-Fi streaming routers is that they need to replace the USB link cable, so the best way to use them is to connect only the VR headset and nothing else. That means the router should be cheap and have the right specs for a strong single connection to the headset. I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this and maybe add some new features to your routers.

I am also using Beryl AX GL-MT3000 for PCVR (Beat Saber) but I am facing stuttering issue, from occasional stutter to stutter every few seconds. I think it become worse when the gameplay is getting exciting (lots of boxes and movement).
I didn’t really encounter the random shutdown issue, though my gameplay time is quite short because of the stuttering issue. When I see the stuttering issue still exist, I will disconnect the PCVR to adjust the settings a bit and try again, but couldn’t get it to work without stutter. Maybe I can force myself to continue the session for longer despite the stuttering and see if the shutdown issue will happen to me…next time perhaps…

My laptop is connected to it via wired LAN and my Quest 1 connected via 5Ghz WiFi (bandwidth 80MHz, mode ac/ax, TX power max).
There is no other client within the same network, it is a separate network from my main router.
Currently running the latest stable firmware 4.4.6.

For my next PCVR session, I’m thinking to enable the Hardware flow offloading from the LuCI, not sure if it will help…

To add some additional info, when using the same setup but with my main router, the gameplay is smooth without stutter, so can pretty much rule out any issue with the laptop or quest 1.
I think the stutter is caused by sudden latency spikes…

Hi Alex, I have the same issues here. I wonder if the router overheats or something. I tried turning on hardware flow offloading in the network settings, but it didn’t help. I use a cheap Mercusys (AC12G) router as my main VR streaming device and it works much better than the Beryl.

Hi ASchneiderBR, I don’t think it is a thermal issue. I just had another session with it, and I put one of those handheld portable fan with built-in battery under the router, set it to max fan speed and blow right into the router from below. If the temperature reading at the system overview page is accurate, it is around 49~52 degree Celsius when playing, and stuttering still occurs. It should be something else.

I also tried without the fan, and continue playing for a while, with stuttering at the same time of course. After a while, I noticed the temperature increased to 60+. After a while more, the WiFi disconnected and within like 10s maybe, it was able to reconnect back successfully. Not sure if it is temperature related or because I have increased the bandwidth to 160Mhz and it is using DFS channel with the radar signal detection stuff going on…

I tried hardware flow offloading, still stuttering, same as what you mentioned. I also tried enable the packet steering option, can’t really tell if it made it worse or have no difference at all. I also tried disconnect the Internet access (unplug the WAN cable and disable multi-wan), makes no difference.

One thing I noticed is, when playing Beat Saber, if I try not to move my head at all, just keep it still and just wave my hands to slash those boxes, the stuttering is noticeably lesser. When I start to move around like how I usually play it, the stuttering becomes worse.

I suspect when I didn’t move as much, the game view remained mostly the same and thus the bandwidth usage was lower and when I moved around like crazy, the game view kept changing and the bandwidth usage also increased. Not sure if this theory is correct or wrong…

So just speculating, maybe this router couldn’t handle that high traffic load with small enough latency for smooth PCVR experience? Not sure how to test further on this and if there is any other config options that I can enable/disable to further optimize the performance in this scenario.

I have also exported the logs but haven’t checked it to see if there is anything related…

1 Like

Have you tried the 2.4G of the MT3000?

Unfortunately, 2.4ghz doesn’t have the necessary bandwidth for a decent VR streaming experience. You’ll need to use the 5ghz band for it. Thanks.

Turns out, there is something that can be done…

I was doing some research towards the direction where the latency increases upon heavy traffic load and came across something called “bufferbloat” and a few posts over at openwrt forum.

I’ll go straight to the point. You need to install SQM package from within LuCI (refer here https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm).
For the SQM setting, this is how I set it (the interface name points to the WiFi interface that VR headset connects to):

This may not be the best settings but it is good enough for me for now.
The stuttering is about 99% gone but at the same time I felt that the image quality dropped a little and occasionally will feel like the fps dropped slightly for a split second (still smooth but not as smooth, if you know what I mean).
This is far better than the previous freeze for half second and jump forward afterwards.

For the “Download speed” in Basic Settings page, I tried both 200000 and 600000, feels the same for me, not sure if it is because the WiFi interface (router) is “uploading” the video to the Quest headset, and that’s why “Download speed” here does not matter much…

For “Upload speed”, I tried 100000 also and it feels similar to 90000. I did try 150000 and it feels like the stuttering is coming back. Not sure if it is because my AirLink bandwidth setting is set to the default 100Mbps… maybe need to test further on this.

One thing to take note is, before I tried out this SQM, I have flashed the router with openwrt 23.05 firmware to see if the driver in that firmware will help (I guess you know the stuttering still occurs with that alone by now, because I went ahead and tried the SQM).
So I am not sure if it is needed to use openwrt 23.05 firmware in combination with SQM to make this work.
You can try install SQM within stock firmware and try it out first. If the stuttering issue still very bad, maybe can consider using openwrt 23.05 firmware + SQM.

Additional note, I have both Software/Hardware flow offloading and packet steering disabled.
I still use the handheld portable fan to blow into the router from below…

I think I’m gonna take a few days break before trying to tune the SQM settings further, tired :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

We ordered a Quest 2 . And will do some test next week. Hope we have more cooperation about the use of PCVR. :grinning:

2 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome! If you have any questions or need anything, just let me know. By the way, I highly recommend using Virtual Desktop. It has a great status overlay that shows you each step of the streaming process. Airlink has an overlay too, but it’s not very clear.

1 Like

We got The Quest 2 yesterday. And compare with ASUS router , we found some jitter in ping delay. We are trying to deal with it. We will do more test next week.
We used Virtual Desktop and it’s more easy to use than Airlink.

1 Like

Hi there! This is awesome news, I really appreciate your hard work on this project. Which device are you using, Opal or Beryl? Also, can you try connecting the router to a laptop USB port and see how it works on the go? I’m happy to offer any help or feedback you might need. Thanks!

1 Like

What we use is Flint2 and ASUS TX-AX6000 Gaming Router.
We will conduct a test tomorrow with a new GPU. Then we will share our test data.

Hi Alex, you should check out the VD discord server if you haven’t already: Virtual Desktop

It’s a great place to find helpful information and chat with Guy, the main developer. He’s very active and friendly. Your router, Opal, is also on the official list of recommended routers.

Cheers!

We done some test between these device. And we use networkPinger to record the the ping jitter.Here is some test result. The SFT1200 is best of all, we will conduct some furure test tomorrow to see the difference between MT3000 and SFT1200.

Router Model: Opal (GL-SFT1200)/MT3000/MT6000/ASUS

**PC Specifications: Corei5-13400 2.5GHz RTX 3060 GPU, 16GB RAM

VR Headset: Meta Quest 2

Streaming Application: Virtual Desktop

Wi-Fi Connectivity: AC at 866MHz

Average Latency (Networking): NO Counting

Video Game: The LAB

1 Like

Hi Alex, I’m curious about something. The Opal seems to outperform the other routers, even the ASUS one, even though it’s the cheapest one you offer. Is there a reason for that? Does it have a different Wi-Fi chip or something? Let me know, thanks.

Many routers use different chips. The Opal is using SiFlower SF19A28.
MT3000 is using Mediatek filogic 820.
MT6000 is using Mediatek filogic 830.
ASUS TUF-AX6000 is also Mediatek filogic 830 (radio’s are MediaTek MT7986AV, MediaTek MT7976GN, MediaTek MT7976AN)

Testing something like a GL-AXT1800 with a Qualcomm based chip might be useful as well. Given its Qualcomm IPQ6000 is yet another beast.

Other recommended routers I believe were: ASUS RT-AX86U, which is based on Broadcom BCM4908 (radio’s are Broadcom BCM43684 and Broadcom BCM6710), and Asus RT-AX55, which is based on Broadcom BCM6755.

1 Like

Thanks for your explain. I don’t have a Broadcom Chip device by my hand. So I test the AXT1800 VS MT6000. I think they are same at this scenario.We have many 5G wifi signal in our office. so maybe you will get another result at your test scenario

We also test MT3000/SFT1200/MT6000 at daytime. Other wifi may have a big influence on the performance.

Wow, this thread is amazing! According to the Virtual Desktop Discord community the best dedicated routers for PCVR are the Opal and the Slate AX. I was considering to buy the Beryl AX, just because it’s newer and smaller than the Slate AX, but I might go for the Opal considering your research. @ASchneiderBR which is the best dedicated router for PCVR in your opinion? I would follow this tutorial to bridge my current WiFi connection (provided by the RT-AX86U in another room) to the dedicated router that would be connected to the ethernet port on my desktop PC to be able to use my Quest 3.