Procedure to backup AR300M-Lite, including installed packages

New firmware is coming out and I want to play. BUT I have a bit of time invested in setting up my routers. So when I mess up, it takes time to get everything back to the way it works. Takes me 30 minutes plus just to install all the additional packages. My devices are doing everything I want them to do so I am hesitant on wiping one to play new released firmware.

I am told that Image Builder is the way to go, but I don’t have the hardware to run it on. Therefore I am using this method. I am only sharing information.

Procedure to backup AR300M-Lite, including installed packages.

NOTE - this only works for the one router you are backing up since you are also getting mac addresses and all kinds of other stuff.

1. make a configuration backup in advanced settings (just in case - I never needed it with this procedure)

2. from ssh
    #cat /proc/mtd

look for the mtd with name “firmware”

root@GuestBE:~# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00040000 00010000 “u-boot”
mtd1: 00010000 00010000 “u-boot-env”
mtd2: 00fa0000 00010000 “firmware”
mtd3: 00160000 00010000 “kernel”
mtd4: 00e40000 00010000 “rootfs”
mtd5: 00640000 00010000 “rootfs_data”
mtd6: 00010000 00010000 “art”

in my case it was mtd2, so my steps use mtd2

3)make copy of mtd2 firmware
#cat /dev/mtd2 > /tmp/firmware.bin

4)SCP this out of the router

To restore firmware and all installed packages

1. In Advanced Settings load your ‘firmware.bin’ using standard Flash Firmware Image.

2. Router will reboot, and have the configuration and installed packages and the router is back

3. Check Router in Advanced Settings / Software and see if your packages are installed.

Good News:
All 55 NordVPN ovpn files were there, switch was configured, Guest WiFi was there, previously installed packages were there. I could not find any differences. I am happy!!

I also did all this with my android phone

QUESTION
There are many people here that have more experience and knowledge than I do regarding these devices. Am I missing anything, or doing something wrong, or whatever? I don’t make copies of the other mtd items, only the firmware one. What data, if any, is in them? And therefore I am missing this data?

Once again, just sharing. Be nice.

1 Like

This is OK. The only problem is that you may have duplicate MAC address because you copied the MAC from old router to new router. Check /etc/config/network and /etc/config/wireless for there are any mac address

That’s why I mentioned that this is a procedure done on a per router basis only. This is not for duplicating multiple routers, unless you are into editing.

But now I am ready for trying out new firmware