Slate AX compatible NordLynx (NordVPN)?

Hi guys,

I just received my new Slate AX (GL-AXT1800), seems like a great travel router, but probably not compatible with one of the biggest most popular VPN providers?

As a long-term NordVPN customer, I wanted to make this GL iNet router work. However, in some of the countries I am traveling OpenVPN seems not to work. Therefore, and also for performance issues I wanted to change to the NordLynx protocol (adapted from Wireguard by NordVPN) instead of OpenVPN.

Is there a planned or third-party firmware / settings that I can use to run NordLynx on the GL iNet Slate AX router or do I need to change to another manufacturer like Asus? I assume you guys want to also help and address the large group of NordVPN customers?

Please help!
Thanks in advance

You will need to install NordVPN on a Linux computer run app and select Nordlynx and get the credentials.

It is not stable and for me would break in about 4-6 hours and I would need to do the process again.
NordVPN Beta tested config files for 2 years and then stopped and from what I can tell are discouraging people from using this process
I did not renew my subscription with them and moved to SurfShark.

TO BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR THIS IS A NORDVPN ISSUE

:gl_emoji_dizzy:I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet :gl_emoji_shacking:

1 Like

NordLynx is NordVPN’s proprietary version of WireGuard and they do not have an app that runs on routers (including Asus). I and other users have created their own config files on Linux that runs on routers and devices with a standard WireGuard client, which works fine for my own purposes. Although OpenVPN may not work in some countries, it is possible that WireGuard may not work either.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

I had the same issue with the Slate AX-1800 and NordVPN- NordLynx. I “fixed” the issue by switching to Proton VPN. Smooth sailing since then. :blush:. It’s a shame that Nord doesn’t/won’t support normal Wireguard.

https://forum.gl-inet.com/t/slate-axt1800-with-nordvpn-nordlynx-wireguard-working-just-fine/26248