Slate Plus AC1300 and OpenWRT version

Hello,
The Slate Plus AC1300 has a version of OpenWRT which is old (21.02).
I checked and there is no newer version of the official GL-iNet firmware.
Thus, I ask if there is a roadmap to upgrade the version of OpenWRT and if not, if anyone has already upgraded openWRT to a later version, like 23.05 for example.

1 Like

We’re all in the same boat. Only the Flint v2 (GL-MT6000) currently has GL firmware based on OWRT 23.05. If you can’t wait… & I can perfectly understand if you don’t… you can always flash vanilla.

I use Slate as my travel router and the GL UI is just perfect for this, so, I would prefer to have it as an official firmware.

Unless there is a guide on how to install the GL UK on top of the vanilla OpenWRT

Nah, it’s not possible so far.

But tbh why do you need the newer OS then? I mean, yeah, having the newest updates is nice - but since it’s more or less an embedded OS it’s not really needed to keep it that updated.

1 Like

I would completely keep the GL firmware for a travel router; the level of convenience can’t be matched compare to having to dig thru a dozen or so setting in vanilla OWRT’s LuCI just to replicate the same functionality… every time you find a new AP. You’re looking to quickly get online after all.

It’s not just the GL GUI; (most?) device firmware also have a closed sourced SDK deeply intergrated; it’s the primary reason there’s usually a non-trivial hit to the performance somewhere after flashing vanilla. Eg: the Opal’s SDK makes it near a waste of time to compile even an updated Tailscale client for it when the Slate Plus exists.

(You should have seen that thread; that OP had more patience than I!)

1 Like

Security is paramount.
An older firmware, is older OS, so, a lot of vulnerabilities are not addressed.
One of the main reasons to use a travel router is enhanced security/privacy

That doesn’t track. Mainline Linux is at kernel version 6.6.8 (2023Q4). Mainline OpenWrt & GL Flint v2 (GL-MT6000) is 5.15 (2021Q4). Mainline GL firmware is 4.4.60 (2016Q2).

By default all firewall rules reject unsolicited incoming traffic anyway. Behind the NAT, basic Wi-Fi security is nearly as good as trash if security is the primary concern.