[Solved] Flint 2 - Windows Defender detects Virus in Firmware image?

Renaming won’t create a checksum problem.

But the file, which is currently available, matches the SHA256 anyway:

So all is fine.

2 Likes

I checked the sha256 and it is the same as the one on the site (I downloaded the file directly from the GL.iNet site link).
However I did a check on several online AVs, VirusTotal, Opswat, Jotti and they all confirmed that the file is clean.
The problem probably lies in Microsoft Defender, even updated to the latest release.

1 Like

We paid full price for a Flint 2 which never worked as intended because its firmware is so full of bugs.
Try to imagine the level of confidence we have.
You just saying “yeah, don’t worry, that’s normal, just believe my words, everything is OK” is not reassuring. At all.

3 Likes

In that case, you have to figure it out yourself. :wink:
I don’t need you to believe me - and I don’t have the time for that.

And if you don’t believe me, will you believe the manufacturer?
What do you think is the solution to your problem?

Windows Security (rebranded Windows Defender) using signatures from 03/07/2024 is what is detecting the virus, as some others have noted. As in my initial post, it certainly could be a false positive. But strange that only the 03/05/2024 firmware has a positive malware finding. All the others are fine when tested. Anyway, keep on keeping on.

The GL-MT6000 Flint 2 has a very solid hardware platform and the build quality looks quite good. Really great hardware and heatsinking. So having said that, the level of firmware immaturity is a little surprising for a flagship product.

A lot of this is on MediaTek too. MediaTek needs to get their act together with their drivers if they want to be a player in this space and compete with Broadcom. MediaTek chipsets on a couple mobile phones and tablets that I have work pretty well, so not sure why their router drivers are so bad.

My main angst with GL.iNet is really their use of the 21.02 OpenWRT platform; that is a losing strategy as they will always be chasing the backporting of solutions that are fixed in the later OpenWRT platform. They need to get on 23.05 as soon as possible.

2 Likes

There’s always a return process,

Sounds like the best option but will I get a full refund including shipping + taxes?

At the moment mediatek only provides wireless drivers for 21.02 and therefore for that specific linux kernel version.

You cannot simply copy the drivers over to 23.05, they need to get ported and recompiled. And since the MTK driver is closed source, they have no other choice than to stick to the MDK (mediatek development kit).

https://git01.mediatek.com/plugins/gitiles/openwrt/feeds/mtk-openwrt-feeds/+/refs/heads/master

1 Like

Please contact the official support about this:
support@glinet.biz

Not you can’t just use the old drivers BUT someone should have been looking at this MESS long before the hardware platform was chosen as MTK…. this firmware mistake will tank their standing in the space…. Cudy etc will eat this mess up and claim market share from the enthusiasts. I dumped the Flint2 and I was an early pre order… last Gl piece I will ever purchase.

1 Like

You can contact CS and find out, if you feel you not getting want you want sent me a PM I can take it off your hands

You get extra for the D service or what :joy::rofl:

Maybe, :rofl:

I’m willing to take the router off his hands so he can stop crying about :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

I understand that the MediaTek drivers are compiled against a 21.02 base. But the later base is evolving and has fixed numerous problems. So the sooner GL.iNet and MediaTek get it together, the better for everyone, including themselves. By the way, Flint 2 is still advertised as coming with OpenWRT 23.05:

Tbh i see nothing wrong with this, at current from what i have read in numerous communities a valid release for upstream OpenWrt might be in the end of this year, maybe next year if they go use pre candidates, i took this of from the bpi forums.

^ also alot is experimental, and those drivers are open source, the wifi is still not good enough on these for me, i did noticed a new commit for AQM which is in my interest, but im trying this one later once i got my network stable (currently replacing gre for vxlan), theres still people having issues also with that commit.

the claim wether it is supported yup definitely it is, is it stable?, no not for wifi, is it stable for 2.5gb maybe, it got upstreamed now from Linux kernel recently.

so i see not a issue with this, besides if you have to choose now… Openwrt is not even in a pre release candidate state for this device, the gl beta in theory is, and the wifi works fine for me😁, yup vendor sdk is full with kernel hacks and older openwrt with private drivers, but that is what also other router brands do, i just accepted it as is, because at the time there is not a better workaround for stable wifi.

Its free for the end user to flash 23.05 or not👍, but still somewhat valid.

Also gl-inet mentoid they gonna maintain both, but for now first the mediatek sdk one for stability, for the upcoming OpenWrt 23.05 :wink: