Some questions on the GL-AR300M

Hi,

I am thinking about getting an GL-AR300M both as a portable router and (mainly) as a toy.

Now I can get one either with or without antennae, the price difference is not really that big, however for most of my use-cases I won’t need any.

But then you never know what ideas you may get later, so just to properly understand this:

Even if I bought the version with antenna, these would not be fixed but detachable antennas, so the difference is really just 2 antennas thrown in, but the device as such is exactly the same is that correct?

Could you give me an estimate on how much range would you be able to get in an open field with these antennae in place?

And so far I have no exerience with openwrt. What I have is a dvb-c stick that works on debian and raspbian, so I assume one could get it work in openwrt as well and there is afaik also a version of tvheadend for openwrt.

Would a setup where I would plug the dvb-c stick into an active hub (for power), connect the hub to the AR-300M and run tvheadend on it so I could stream tv over wifi be realistic?

I don’t mind some tinkering or building software from source, I just have no feeling for what the hardware would be capable of.

Many thanks!

The units with an antenna need to be run with the antenna. There is a difference internally that disconnects the on board (internal) antenna. IIRC you must use the antenna, or you may cause a system problem.

Regarding performance, I have an AR150 and MIFI with internal antennas and can get about 20 feet (through walls at home) before I see a weak signal.

No idea on the video

Am I right that the AR300M does not have a micro-sd-slot?

So if I want a micro-sd-slot I would need to get the MT300A?

One more question - is the following correct:

The device uses about -say- 3W of power. It gets 5V from a power supply, so it draws 0.6A. A powerbank with 5000mAh should therefore power the device for 8.3 hours.

The MT300a and MIFI have SD card slots.

Your math is correct. Ive given up on estimating batteries. It’s never right.