Spitz GL-X750 and OpenVPN

I just had my cell ISP fix their bandwidth problems, and now I get speeds through Spitz that are more inline with my expectations.

However, when I turn on OpenVPN[1], it drops drastically…like to 5Mbps-^/6Mbps-v from about 20Mbps-^/40Mbps-v.

When I turn off VPN, and turn it on on my laptop only, I get back to the 20Mbps-^/40Mbps-v speeds.

Of course, my laptop has a powerful CPU (i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz) that includes the AES extensions.

Does Spitz’s QCA9533 CPU not have the AES extensions?

I wonder why GL-Inet couldn’t use a Chinese made CPU, eg rockchip RK3128, which seems to have AES[1]. I guess the rockchip has too much other, mostly useless, stuff (eg GPU) which means it comes out more expensive? It’d be good to not be (as) vulnerable to US sanctions and its ‘black list’ as getting chips directly from Qualcomm.

Is there some ‘add-on’ AES accelerator that can be used?

[1] AES instruction set - Wikipedia RK3128 - Rockchip Wiki

The chip cannot do AES acceleration. Also openvpn use pure software encryption. So hardware AES does not help.

The device can achive 6-10Mbps in openvpn maximum. When using 4G and wifi, vpn speed will drop as well.

Using Chinese CPU is OK. But those CPU does not has good wifi performance.

We are using Marvel chipset which could achieve 97Mbps in openvpn and we will have a product soon. The first version will not have wifi.

Also openvpn use pure software encryption. So hardware AES does not help.

That’s an interesting assertion. I find several references to the contrary - unless I’m reading them wrongly:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2018/08/hardware-acceleration-is-here-for-routers-using-openvpn/

Well, not that I really understand them, but it seems clear to me that they are trying to get h/w aes acceleration to work with OpenVPN - I can’t quite figure out if they’re being successful, or not…and I’m not an expert by any means.

Using Chinese CPU is OK. But those CPU does not has good wifi performance.

Personally, I’d prefer to be unshackled from US companies and have slower performance. Perhaps you should have a ‘US-free product’. It seems like that is the way things are heading for Chinese companies and their products anyway.

Our B1300 does have AES engine. We tried very hard to make to work with OpenVPN but failed.

That’s interesting. I hope you’ve not given up - it’s a killer feature :slight_smile:

Try WireGuard, it may get a better performance.

One day, perhaps: