StrongVPN WireGuard + AdGuardHome (on Azure)

I did some tests running WireGuard on my GL-MV1000W Brume with DNS set manually on the client device and dnsleaktest.com shows that manual DNS is being used, overriding other DNS settings on the router.

I do not have a public AdGuardHome site, so I tested with public DNS servers from Quad9, OpenDNS, CleanBrowsing, Alternate DNS and AdGuard DNS, none of which I already use, nor used by the VPN provider (NordVPN).

With WireGuard running on the Brume, the DNS requests goes through the VPN tunnel, resulting in DNS servers near the endpoint location. With WireGuard not running, the DNS servers are near my own location.

EDIT:
Note that AdGuardHome is a DNS forwarder, not a true DNS server. Hence, dnsleaktest.com may not show the AdGuardHome IP address, but shows the upstream DNS servers that you have configured in AdGuardHome (e.g., Cloudflare, Quad9).

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

My goal is to have the Wiregurad connection up and simultaneously get the DNS config points all LAN clients automatically to the Azure-hosted ADGH without the need to manually configure them individually.

Would that be possible? or am I just daydreaming :man_facepalming:?

I bought Flint originally to achieve that on the same box but it seems the HW can’t accommodate both working simultaneously and crashes every other hour.

You can configure the DHCP server on your Flint to give DNS to client devices to be your AdGuardHome site via LuCI → Network → Interfaces → LAN → Edit → DHCP Server → Advanced Settings → DHCP-Options. Enter the following and click Save, then click Save & Apply:

6,20.x.x.x

where 20.x.x.x is the IP address of your AdGuardHome site

I did this also in my tests. I think the Custom DNS Server setting in the GL.iNet UI works differently, on the router’s dnsmasq, and does not send the DNS to client devices.

EDIT:
On my own network, I have the main router set up to give DNS to client devices, which is AdGuardHome running on a separate NAS server on the same LAN. I do not use dnsmasq on the main router.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

That’s correct. I configured it manually via ( Advanced Settings → DHCP-Options). Clients take the ADGH IP as DNS but nothing hits up the ADGH’s queries logs.

I tried this one as well to no luck.

I am frustrated!