Suggesting: No WiFi for Default

I suggest it should be that WiFi is always disabled when first begin using router, when first flashing firmwares.

Reason is today many many devices existing that can read MAC but sometimes is necessary for security to only use private/cloned MAC. It is possible this can create dangerous situation.

While if you flash a firmware from openwrt, wifi is disabled by default.

But the problems is that, when a user does this and he do not know exactly what will happen, he will scream that the router is broken. This happens very very often. So we do not do this.

Actually in some of our coming models, there will be a BLE chip in the router. At the first time the router will not broadcast any wifi. So you have to set up using BLE. Once you set up, BLE will be turned off and wifi is on.

@alzhao Yes this makes good sense. Thank you for giving me the answer.

I don’t know what “BLE chip” means? I did some searching but I don’t find it. Do you have a link for good information?

One thing maybe you could do, is make the button have default function of disable wifi? You can make it “on” but users who read will know they can push button before first time they turn on.

if you flash a firmware from openwrt, wifi is disabled by default.

Yes thank you. But is very annoyance buy new router and doing uboot before doing anythings else. Also I don’t know if wifi activated during uboot? This is good question, I never think to test before now.

Bluetooth Low Energy :slight_smile:

If you flash a vanilla openwrt firmware, you will find how desperate you will be: NO wifi, NO UI, only ssh.

@alzhao

If you flash a vanilla openwrt firmware, you will find how desperate you will be: NO wifi, NO UI, only ssh.

I think OpenWRT always now does contain Luci UI? Anyway SSH is the most important.

But what I am suggesting is the switch (before I said button but I mean switch) on new GL routers could be on/off for wifi?

So if switch is off you have no wifi like default OpenWRT, but if on (and usually it would ship in on position for the people you are talking about above) means you have wifi. It is a suggestion because sometimes it is good to protect MAC address, but if you live in a city you can not protect it if it does come on when you turn GL on.

… yeah, put me down as a NO on that idea. Having WiFi up by default is best for initial setup.

Yeah i agree with this too. There are no routers on the market with wifi off out of the box. Imagine the user confusion when you buy a wireless router and there is no wireless.

If the user wants security, they can just boot into uboot, flash their imagebuilder image with wifi off.
It’s not hard to do this in a batch for many users.

Did you read what I said? I said I think the switch is best to toggle wifi off/on, and it must come on, but a smart person can put switch to off before turning on.

There are no routers on the market with wifi off out of the box.

Why is this important informations?

If the user wants security, they can just boot into uboot, flash their imagebuilder image with wifi off.

When you booting into uboot, can you say 100% sure wifi is not active? I never chec this.

Anyway it is terrible solution. It would be that a smart user must uboot, flash openwrt, and after this flash again with GL firmwares. My suggestion only needs one “click!”

For you it might be a terrible idea, but for most people it is not.

I can already tell you this won’t be included in GL firmwares.

Maybe. I have good confidence in @alzhao to make good decisions for firmwares. Because now there is no default function for switch and because router can still ship with wireless on, it is a very good decision to do this.

For you it might be a terrible idea, but for most people it is not.

For people who have interest in security.

While I do not make a rush conclusion but we always try to improve. We have to consider opinions from different users.

In some of our new products which has BLE, the wifi is disabled by default. The user has to set up via BLE. So the router will have the user’s own SSID and Password for the first time usage. But for existing products we rarely make big changes.

Yes this is a good policy. I am only saying that I think when you have units that have new firmwares, and have switches, when the switches are not default functioning, maybe “wifi toggle” is good functioning?

But yes you must make the best decisions for you.

Also I can now confirm that when using uboot there is no Wifi broadcast.

1 Like