The Good, The Bad & The Shadows

Hi all, I would like to ask a few questions

first off I am running ar300m v2.22 & 2 v6416

and I run a DIY VPN off of a VPS and my current VPN allows me to utilize many connection options such as

direct-udp.ovpn
stunnel.ovpn
sslh.ovpn
direct.ovpn

I usually only use direct & direct-upd with no problems minus a few dns leaks

1st question is will all these protocols work with your version of Openwrt? I can upload them and it recognizes them as legit

I can’t test them all because I have constant traffic on them so swapping them around to test really isn’t an option at this time. I would be hurt if the net went down

2nd question is I have had great success with Shadowsocks proxy on my phone and this vpn. it’s Fast and no DNS leaks. I would like to install this and give it a go but before I did I wanted to ask you if it would work at all.

I hate that I loose almost a 1/3 of my internet speed using openVPN with this router and want to try and get it back up to at least my phones Shadowsocks Wifi speed is.

If I install this via ssh and access thu http://192.168.8.1/cgi-bin/luci/

OpenWRT
shadowsocks-libev
opkg install shadowsocks-libev
shadowsocks-libev-polarssl
opkg install shadowsocks-libev-polarssl

as per https://shadowsocks.org/en/download/clients.html

What can I expect? or should I just take down one of my routers and give it a go? Will I kill anything? Does this sound plausible?

Thanks for any help!

First question about vpn protocols: I cannot say anything before I do a real test. Unless you can send me an account for testing, you need to find new network environment for testing, if you cannot do in your current environment.

For shadownsocks, I think you need to try. Some others reported that it works. Of course you will met some problems. But until you have a try, you don’t know what is the result.

Thanks for the response

I was able to move a set of people over to just one router with little issue freeing up a 6416 to run a few quick test

the outcome was not that good but I think that has more to do with the old tech that is used on this dsl line

anyway I was able to connect to 3 of the 4 practicals

stunnel.ovpn was not successful but I did expect that nonetheless

My next task was to try and install Shadowsocks proxy but ran into a problem.

I ssh into 6416 and ran<code style=“outline: 0px; margin: 0px; white-space: nowrap; padding: 1px 4px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 13px; line-height: inherit; font-family: ‘Source Code Pro’, monospace; vertical-align: baseline; color: #4d4d4c; background-color: #fafafa;”>opkg install shadowsocks-libev

the return was

Unknown package ‘shadowsocks-libev’.
Collected errors:

• opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package shadowsocks-libev.

same with<code style=“outline: 0px; margin: 0px; white-space: nowrap; padding: 1px 4px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 13px; line-height: inherit; font-family: ‘Source Code Pro’, monospace; vertical-align: baseline; color: #4d4d4c; background-color: #fafafa;”>opkg install shadowsocks-libev-polarssl

I can only assume that shadowsocks is not in the repo? I can download the needed files but I wouldn’t know how to install them any pointers?

as for testing these different protocols I have a server that I am going to kill in a bit & I am sure I can send them to you if you think it would help in anyway with software development. am I correct in assuming you have something to do with the development alzhao?

all in all I think the sshlh.ovpn had a cleaner signal and better ratting via https://www.dslreports.com/ but I will keep tweaking things a bit and run a few different test on them all.

again thanks for the response

@Blind Raven, please send me the testing ovpn files so that I can have a real try so that I can understand what you are talking about.

As for shadowsocks-libev, yes these are not in the repo. You can try to download from the internet and install using opkg.

yeah going to give it a shot in the next day or two. I will let you know.

@alzho I would be more then happy to send you all files needed for the server, I just set up a test VPN just for this reason

if you would like to shoot me an email I will respond with the files that are needed for you to test out. I am doing the same when I have time but have very limited time right now and would be happy to let you take a look at em.