Use-case and performance

Hi,
is it possible to say for what use-case / scenarios do you use GL.Inet GL-MV1000 “Brume” ?

Also is it possible compare GL.Inet GL-MV1000 “Brume” vs linksys wrt1900acs in terms of performance? It looks like both have almost same RAM+CPU, but Brume has bigger storage.

Is it possible to flash official openwrt distro to Brume device?

Does official Brume support ssh access almost same as vanila openwrt?

thanks

anyone here please? still not sure.

Brume is the most powerful GL router at the moment, so it will give the best VPN performance, and has the fastest CPU. The idea is that you place it as an edge router, the closest device to the internet, handling your entire network, with a wireless access point connected to it since it doesn’t have wifi (1000W does have, but only 2.4ghz).

It’s possible to flash Ubuntu on the Brume as well.

The linksys router has AC wifi, so it will be better if you need wifi, while Brume is better because of the easy to use GL UI, letting you configure Wireguard, OpenVPN and most settings you will need, without the large learning curve of Vanilla OpenWRT (you need to configure everything manually).

Yes SSH is available out of the box, user root + the password you enter the first time when you log into the router, and there are threads here how to harden that security as well:

Flashing Vanilla OpenWRT, it should be possible @alzhao can comment.

1 Like

hi,
thanks for a comment, what about PC Engines apu4d4 product file
I think apu is more powerful etc… right?

Just looking at the specs yeah, it has quad core cpu with 2 or 4 times the ram of Brume. So depends on your use case. I don’t know what operating system that APU is using, it might not be optimized for routing operations, compared to Brume.

@johnex Ubuntu or any x64 linux… hows brume os optimized for routing? its openwrt right?

@lenovomi

The MV1000 comes standard with OpenWRT however you can load a Gl.iNet supplied Ubuntu image onto the builtin EMMC memory effectively having dual boot OpenWRT/Ubuntu (using the switch_system command)

The GL routers have processors that are optimized for internet routing. Qualcomm, Marvel, Broadcom cpus are all designed for routing so they are more efficient than for example an Intel or other chip.

This is why you can get pretty high performance from a relatively low power cpu, comparing it to a high powered pc running pfSense for example.

@limbot
well but is that gl.inet ubuntu image somehow specially customized compare to vanila ubuntu, in terms of routing … i just cant see what routing optimalization it can have… and if so, i believe same can be set up on any other ubuntu?

@johnex well thats okay, but check apu4d4, it has i assume still better CPU power as MV1000 and also power consumption is almost same, so still cant see arguments/ pros why one have go for MV1000.

Well again depends on your use case, i can’t really comment on the performance of some untested device so. You seem to want that device, so order one and try :slight_smile:

@johnex well apu costs almost double, i was told its very stable. The question also was about what use-cases we talk here / or what possible use-cases are there. Are we talking here about some home use case - simple routing / or some advanced topology… no clue.

Well that is the thing, you don’t buy a Ferrari to just buy groceries :smiley:

Do you need wifi?
If yes, do you have a large house?
Do you have gigabit internet?
Are you experienced with configuring firewalls, setting up services?

@Johnex

For a wifi i run netgear r7800 so it will be plugged to that edge router

I have 500/50 but will be extended later on to 1000/100

Not really with FW, services yes i can manage it… ive been using linux 15y+

Well then its just if it’s worth the extra price, doesn’t seem like you have a large number of devices that would require the most expensive device.

Remember if you use the Netgear you will need to disable it’s firewall, unless you want to deal with double nat, and having to open ports on both the Netgear and edge router.

yeah, netgear will be plugged and act as a bridge ie no FW/NAT etc… just wifi AP …

I have around 15-20 wifi/wired devices at home.

And i wanted to run services as fw, adblock, etc… no clue what cpu/ram will be required.

@johnex ^^^ any idea here? thanks

For adblock you need at least 512mb ram for it to work with the large lists.
Wireguard on Brume is around 280mbit max, so not the full 1000mbit you will upgrade to you said. You need to check reviews of the more expensive device, see what benchmarks have been made and balance the price to what your needs are.

thanks; still that apu looks nice even i am not sure if i need its power etc ;/