USSD for Mudi GL-E750

Hello Alzhao. Is there any news about this issue? Thanks in advance for your help and effort.

Sorry I haven’t solve this problem.

Spent hours on this and I suspect that this is related to the modules’ firmware.

Do you know how to update firmware on your EG25-G?

Hello Alzhao. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to update the firmware of the module. I have been checking out some Quectel forums but I don’t find it clear if the Mudi’s module supports OTA upgrade. For me it’s very important the ability of the module to perform USSD queries.

Hello Alzhao. Any news about this issue? Is the module able to deal with USSD requests? Is there any answer from Quectel?
Due to the fact that the E750 is using sim cards, the ability to deal with USSD is mandatory in order to know the balance, options, etc. otherwise we’d need a second device to swap the card in to know the USSD requests answers to deal with these issues.

Sorry no solution until you know how to upgrade the firmware of the modem.

It may not be difficult. You need to take out the modem, connect to your pc via a PCIe-USB adapter. Then I will find and send you tools.

Hello Alzhao. Thank you for your reply. I’ll get the adapter and will try to upgrade the firmware from quectel downloads. I’ll keep you informed about the outcome. With best regards.

1 Like

Hello Alzhao. I have downloaded the instructions on how to update/upgrade the firmware of the Quectel EG25-G. I have also got a USB to mini PCIe adapter for the task. I kindly ask you to provide the software tools and firmware file. Thanks in advance for your help and support.

Pls hold on. No need to take the modem out.

I will provide a method to update the modem firmware on the router directly. I am trying this out myself and will let you know in a few days.

Thanks. Will wait for your reply with the method to upgrade the firmware.

hello dear alzhao. is there any news? because it looks like i have the same issue.

What issue, please? There are mixed info in the post.

Hello. After quite few months later, I’m still unable to deal with USSD queries using the EG25-G modem, even with the new firmware update provided by Alzhao. I’m beginning to believe that this module can’t support USSD.
I hope I’m wrong.

As I said I could do that in my side.

Seems this is related to carrier network. It can also be bug in the modem firmware.

I can send modem firmware update if that is something you can try.

since this seems to be the USSD thread… I have the GL-E750 with an EP06-E; AT+CUSD=1,"<request>", 15 seems to work (as in, if the request is a simple “get credit” for my carrier I get the info by SMS), but I can’t find a way to get the actual USSD response, and docs are, well, poorly written (at least the random AWS hosted pdf file I found - if I understand [1] correctly, AT+CUSD? should return the response).

Is this a firmware bug? is there any way to get a newer firmware version? I see there’s a quec_upload binary in the firmware, so I suppose the update mechanism used by, say, the pinephone (it has an EG25 inside) should work, but I have to ask.

However, quectel has no firmware download page that I can find (random employees upload files to baidu or sharepoint and post links in their forum when someone asks), and the version numbers are baffling - it’s hard to figure out which is newer and which will even work - came across one named EP06ELAR04A05M4G - what differs looks like a higher number (04A05 vs 03A08), but I’m not sure (and would need a backup of the old firmware to revert anyway, just in case it’s bad)

edit: after an attempt to make openwrt use qmi (failed with some unhelpful access denied errors in logs) USSD requests stopped working, I get +CME ERROR: 30 (but AT+QUSD? replies with +CUSD: 1 followed by OK - router reboot and modem reset don’t seem to help

even later edit: ok, qmi works now (changed the interface from the gl-inet UI instead of switching protocol in luci - no idea what it does differently), USSD still not working

[1] For an USSD response from the network, or a network initiated operation, the format is: +CUSD: <status>[,<rspstr>,[<dcs>]].

I cannot speak for Quectel of how they can manage firmware for public.

But if you want to try I have a newer firmware and I can send guide to you. Just pm me or email me.

first off, looks like error 30 means “no network service” and was caused by me setting AT+QCFG="nwscanmode",3 in an attempt to squeeze some speed out of the connection - turns out it needs to be 0 or USSD doesn’t work

next up, thanks for the firmware, I’m not really sure it fixed USSD (it did add a few Mbps to the downstream connection speed, I think): the web UI doesn’t wait for the whole response to be printed, so it only returns what gets printed immediately; the way AT+CUSD seems to work is you get an OK to indicate the command was a success, and then about 1s later you get the response from the network, like +CUSD: 0,"You'll receive an SMS with the information you requested.",15

BTW, the serial port seems to be multiplexed between several things, if I leave picocom running there’s a lot of replies to commands other than the ones I’ve entered. I suppose I can work around this if I make a script (have chat expect +CUSD, for instance) - I’d really like to be able to recharge the credit, and this involves a bit of navigation through a menu.