VPN Client-Server configuration - Working remotely with company VPN

And DNS data as well.

There are two pieces to this. If your ISP can’t give your home router/modem a static IP, then you need to have DDNS in place on the home router/modem or the GL home router so you can keep track of the correct IP. The second is to either put the home router/modem in bridge mode or do port forwarding of the VPN port to the GL home router. If those links represent your home router/modem then maybe they work.

1 Like

Thanks both, I really appreciate the help!

Android Phone: noted, keep offline at all times
DDNS: the current home router/modem gives me a drop down of dyndns, noip or dyns so it looks like this is possible
Bridge Mode: Apparently not supported on the device and it uses “MER IPOE and chap credential authentication”
Port Forwarding: Yes, the links appear to align with what I have

So a combination of DDNs and port forwarding it seems?

Thanks again!

Yes. But for detailed vpn configuration, if you have met any issues, pls describe with step you have issues.

If you need someone to check your config, pls write to us via email support at glinet.biz

Thanks Alzhao and all. I’ve followed all the advice managed to set everything up. Yesterday tested a wired connection from my laptop to slate ax + wire to friend’s router with ip address showing my place.

In terms of next steps in testing, I know I need to drive a bit further away and test again, however the coffee shops/libraries in my country only have wifi and no access to their physical router. Would this be a problem?

(Also checked and my 2FA app on phone works in airplane mode which is super).

Thanks!

You can try repeater to your smartphone.

Sorry my question wasn’t clear, or maybe I don’t understand the answer… (or both)

I think what I’m trying to ask is if I connect laptop- wire- travel router - wire - router …this seems ok when testing and ready to go

But if I connect laptop - wire- travel router - wifi with maybe strangers also connecting to the wifi (with my location/bluetooth/wifi off+ wireguard on etc)…would it leak ip and location?

Also when you say use Repeater, I can connect my phone as a “hotspot” to the travel router through this option, but I think I have misunderstood your advice?

Thanks for any insight and help in advance.

It should be like this:

laptop by wire to travel router, travel router as repeater via wifi to starbucks hotspot. Start VPN client connection to VPN Server. The tunnel is from travel router to VPN server and is protected from strangers.

It is safe.
But sometimes tricky, when you need to connect a Captive Portal (website to agree all terms and so on).
Note you can’t reach a Captive Portal, when you try to access a https:// website. Most browser’s don’t like the rerouting to http:// … Only my observation from miscellaneous hotels, can’t find anything about this behaviour online.

In my case, I travel everywhere with my Slate Plus and Shadow as backup. The shadow works fine at an USB port, even with an OTG cable over mobile/tablet.

At first I start the router and connect my mobile. First I search for a suitable WLAN and connect. If the VPN won’t come up, I disable it with the switch on the side of the router and look for a Captive Portal. After agreeing everything, I switch again to get VPN.
And if this bubble in the WebUI changes from yellow to blueish/green, I start and connect my Laptop… Now I know I am safe from any spying.

If everything does not work, I have a fallback Wireguard client on my phone, to my Slate AX at home. But this happens up to 2 times a year, and I am on the road nealy every weekend.
(Yes, I have a lot of backup solutions … But only because I am interested in the tech behind. I won’t need any internet connection, all the time)

Hi @oscargp,

I found this link. Appears I have very similar if not the same situation. I start a new job recently that is 100% remote work, no need to ever come to office at least for foreseen future. It’s not busy and easy as I have done this type of work over two decades. I really like it. But I am going to move to oversea and don’t believe I could carry this job. Cisco AnyConnect VPN installed in the company laptop that must connect to access intranet and network shares etc. I have two GL.iNet routers, GL-AXT1800 (Slate AX) and GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX). I configured Surfshark WireGuard (or OpenVPN) client in the router that points to the fastest servers near my area, speed is very good. I have tried this multiple times, VPN in the router turned on first and stay connected, and rebooted company laptop of course. The problem is that once I turned off VPN in the router, Cisco VPN in the company laptop reconnected automatically and everything back to work without a reboot. Once I turned on VPN everytime in the router, Cisco VPN also reconnected without error but not functioning even after a reboot. Either this Cisco VPN ‘aware’ the VPN in the router and then prevented or the VPN in the router interferes with Cisco VPN in the machine. Do you think if this server-client two routers is a solution? I am an IT person myself and know how to configure routers. I also enabled UDP port 51820 forwarding in my current Verizon FIOS router (but will be different similar fiber-optic router once I moved to that country). Please provide your opinion and a potential solution. I want to know a bit more details in such two routers such as how to wire/connect to each WAN and LAN ports? I’d carry both routers to a new place in that country.

Many thanks
Pete

It’d be helpful to diagram it.

1 Like

Do you have compression disabled in both VPNs? Not just “none”. And are the subnets unique from one end to the other?

Without knowing what the Cisco VPN has issues with, it’s nearly impossible to troubleshoot.
You might try to gather the required log files - which depends on your device.

Could Cisco VPN be aware of the other VPN? Totally.
Could the company try to block it? Totally too.
Would I block it? Totally totally.

Thx all. I am new in this forum so still learning :slight_smile: I did enable forwarding for the UDP port 51820 (as WireGuard client uses) in ISP router. But this alone doesn’t solve the issue. GL.iNet engineer suggests this timeout fix, I will give a try…

I start understanding this topic. the OP’s client-server is only for if still needs to show your US home IP addr (without a VPN subscription)? I don’t have this concern yet as the company unlikely to restrict employees from using a VPN at home but just trying to solve this subtle issue.

just FYI, the GL.iNet engineer’s suggestion on the following link successfully addressed the issue. I changed MTU to 1280 on the Ethernet adapter (from Targus dock that the company laptop connected to with external monitors, keyboard, mouse). It just works :slight_smile: Previous issue was appearing timing out after struggling a while on company intranet (or network share). Now guess the OP server-client is for pointing to US home IP addr with a US ISP without a VPN subscription if I understand correctly. I will also try that as I have 2 routers. GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) is for travelling as don’t want to disconnect the main one AXT1800 in home and carry with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/13ev9ga/nested_anyconnect_vpn_times_out_when_wireguard/