VPN Speed low-middle CPU

If you want faster VPN speeds for home use then I think a PC based system running something like Pfsense is a good option. My main router is a PC-engines mini PC. Not sure of the settings at the moment but I am getting about 70Mbps on openvpn. It is a 256bit cypher but not sure which one. There are loads of mini PC options now. That are perfect to use this. Pfsense is a more powerful option for most folks but it has a steep learning curve. It is not a good travel option though ss you need larger hardware.

GL.iNet will launch a small box which can achieve 100Mbps OpenVPN soon.

Can you give some more information?
Is the hardware well choosen ? With uptodate support ?
I think here of my B1300 with outdated software !
Can your software-developement keep track with the lots of hardware ?
It would be nice.

B1300 openwrt version is old because of WiFi driver compatibility. But we today upgraded. Kernel is new.

Pls upgrade your B1300 now.

Sorry no more info about the new hardware. But it does has the most updated open source support.

Thanks for your proposal to update software.

Despite new kernel the software openwrt 15.x remains outdated with all the inherent

incompatibilities and security risks.

The proposed update is only a placebo and no solution to the problem.

People (your customers) buying an openwrt-router want secure and up-to-date hard- and software.

Why not offering openwrt 18.x (with slow wifi, but secure) and software 3.0 ?

Instead of new hardware I would appreciate this solution and more efforts

to debug software V3.0 !

Thus the hardware B1300/S1300 would not be obsolete security- and softwarewise.

Well, that is good to know but my router has been achieving speeds close to this for years and there are plenty of options that can do over 200Mbps today. Added to which Pfsense is a far more feature rich software option. My current broadband tops out at about 70Mbps anyway but I belive my old hardware can achieve about 100Mbps on the latest builds, but in reality I don’t need VPN for all of it. Pfsense has relatively easy to configure split tunnelling at source and destination ip and port. This can be done in openwrt but it is a pain. My main bandwidth hog is Usenet which is over a secure connection so I just route it outside of the VPN based on the providers domain. The success of new domestic VPN routers will be ease of configuration with cheap price and moderate speeds. Openwrt isn’t commercial grade and I can’t see many enterprises wanting to use it. Pfsense isn’t perfect, it can be hard to configure. A cheapo Celron n3150 appliance will manage about 115Mbps and lots of options will easily go over 200Mbps. In reality not many VPN providers offer much over 70 to 80Mbps today anyway. For travel routers, getting a fast connection whilst travelling isn’t easy. 5G will improve that but for many people running a VPN app on the client computer is usually easier anyway.