We need your opinion for the next generations of our travel router

I would like to see a more rugged travel router, something that could withstand high ambient temperatures, possibly waterproof. Like a toughbook but in travel router form.

1 Like

Groves look a little bit 80s and outdated, the smooth one is a bit sleeker.

2 Likes

Agreed. The smooth looks so much better / cleaner.

:sunglasses: i like any Fanless router design with more of built-in Heatsink

You guys should stress test router and at the same time, still keep it Cool (temperature-wise). Now that will be cool cool

2 Likes

Echoing mostly the same.
Went from Slate to Opal, but less weight/volume would be great.
Slim, sleek, light.
Little ports and no pattern if it doesn’t serve any function.

We made our decision. Thanks for the opinions!
More details about this new product are yet to come! Stay turned!

5 Likes

Do tell. What did you pick?

“We” picked Design A.
Since this is my vote, too, did I won? :stuck_out_tongue:

just got my new axt1800 and here are my constructive comments.
that travel routers should

— run cool.
the axt1800 runs VERY hot, perhaps too hot.
as a result, might not be suitable for continuous use as a home router, unless i add ventilation.

— small size.
my ar750s-ext, is about a large as a travel router should be.
but with the axt1800, about the size of my raspberry pi4, with case, and ssd,

— small power supply size.
the provided power supply is way too large for the given output.

— lightweight.
the axt1800 is much heavier than ar750s-ext and then add weight for power supply.

so will make it difficult to travel with axt1800,
i think i will be forced to continue to use my old ar750s-ext.

We decided Design A - no pattern.

2 Likes

We modify the fan settings in the new firmware, and theoretically it will significantly help ventilation.

1 Like

@panpan, thanks for the quick update.

— so the axt1800 has an internal fan?
— which firmware version has the fix?
— is there a way to tweak the fan speed, without having to install firmware?
perhaps very the command line or luci?

Yes, the Slate AX (ATX1800) got a internal fan. My Slate AX goes handwarm, nothing to worry.

There is /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone[0-5]/
You can get the temp with cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone[0-5]/temp and there are more files. When I remembering right one for the fan threshold …
But be aware that a wrong setting can lead to a permanent damage. Take a look at the values first, don’t expect the displayed °C are accurate. Sometimes there is a offset needed.

1 Like

I have the Beryl and Flint and am happy with your products - great job!

Some improvements I’d like to see:

1. Travel router: make the switch on the side (it being programmable is awesome btw) better. Right now, it doesn’t click into place and feels a little cheap.

2. Gli Net GUI: generally clean and good nfunctions. For the VPN policy, I’d like to see custom lists (IPSET) or top level domain exemption, as I live in China and VPN significantly slows down Chinese websites like wechat or online shopping to the point of becoming unusable.

3. Travel router: make a travel case that’s inexpensive and fits perfectly. I’ve seen some on Taobao, but the price is too high for what you get.

4. Travel router: give the LED a (software) on/off switch. It’s so bright that it illuminates the hotel room at night.

Thanks!

1 Like

A MT7986A would be so much better and all ports should be 2.5gbps

Not where I would put money for a travel router, until we get WG speeds past 1gbps. I haven’t been in a travel location where the internet service was above 500mbps either.

4 Likes

It seems to me, looking at the original query and the subsequent comments (which include many suggestions for what people, really really want (apologies to the Spice Girls), that if GLiNET are serious about soliciting feedback and suggestions for a “Travel Router” from their (mostly existing) customer-base (here), they would do better asking about (or polling) “What do you want in a Travel Router” rather than whether the thing has grooves or not.

Essentially “grooves/no grooves” is a cosmetic issue and whilst “the aesthetics” (with potentially a ventilation function) certainly plays a part in the design, in my view asking folks “select in order of preference, your top 5 attributes of a travel router from this list of ten items”, provides a far higher level of customer engagement.

I was reminded the other day about a Steve Jobs (no affiliation :slight_smile: ) speech in which he (paraphrasing) says start with what the customer WANTs and then “Engineer” the product to match, not the other way around.

Here is an example list, culled from the feedback above: Size, Weight, Shape (here’s looking at you LupusE…), Power Brick Size, Ruggedness, Fan/No-Fan (like TP Link’s AC750), Wifi Speed, # of Ethernet Ports, Ease of Setup in Hotel Environments, User-Defined Buttons, (Easily) Customisable Lights (not necessarily using LUCI, but in the standard menu) etc…

I would not include items such as customisable fan cut-in and cut-out temperatures as this may affect the warranty.

Just my observation on any given Friday…

k.

2 Likes

Perhaps look at what is already available for a relatively low price. Some serious consideration should be made to make the GL-iNet line more competitive in the hardware area.

This item is now available for about $80. The name has been blocked out.

RK3568B2 Soc, with 4GB LPDDR4x RAM and 32GB eMMC; CPU: Quad-core ARM Cortex-A55 CPU, up to 2.0GHz; [Dual PCIe 2.5G GBPS ETHERNET PORTS];M.2 WiFi and Bluetooth Module, with M.2 Key E;FriendlyWrt 22.03(64-bit), Debian Buster Desktop 64 bit;support 4KP60 H.265/H.264/VP9 video decoder, 1080P60 H.264/H.265 video encoder.

[WIRELESS MOBILE MINI TRAVEL ROUTER] Nnnnnnnnn Mini Wifi Router Adopt Rockchip RK3568B2 Soc, with 4GB LPDDR4x
 RAM and 32GB eMMC; CPU: Quad-core ARM Cortex-A55 CPU, up to 2.0GHz; GPU: Mali-G52 1-Core-2EE, supports OpenGL
 ES 1.1, 2.0, and 3.2, Vulkan 1.0 and 1.1, OpenCL 2.0 Full Profile; NPU: Support 0.8T.

[OPEN SOURCE and Programmable] It can support FriendlyWrt, a custom system based on the OpenWrt distribution. It
 is open source and ideal for developing IoT applications, NAS applications, smart home gateways, and more. It
 can also be used as a command line mode for geeks

[Dual PCIe 2.5G GBPS ETHERNET PORTS] The Nnnnnnnnn Mini Router has dual PCIe 2.5Gbps Ethernet ports; M.2
 WiFi(RTL8822CE) support 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac protocol,TX rate is 276Mbps,RX rate is 156Mbps.

[LARGER EXTENSIBILITY & Interface] Nnnnnnnnn Router supports M.2 WiFi and Bluetooth Module, with M.2 Key E:
 PCIe2.1 x1, USB 2.0 x1 Ports;microSD: support UHS-I; USB: two USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A ports; Debug: one Debug
 UART, 3 Pin 2.54mm header, 3.3V level ;1 x HDMI output interface; LEDs: 4 x GPIO Controlled LED (SYS, WAN, LAN,
 WL)
[OS/Software] Nnnnnnnnn Portable Router Running Android, FriendlyWrt 22.03(64-bit), Debian Buster Desktop
 (64-bit), FriendlyCore Focal Lite(Base on Ubuntu 20.04), Buildroot; Kernel version:
 Linux-5.10-LTS/U-boot-2017.09.

Guessing you are refering to the Nanopi R5C? It’s fair if you compare that against something like a Brume 2 (@ 69 USD), but that device will not do WiFi well.
Sticking in an Intel AX210 will not make it better than a Beryl AX as such wifi adaptor is not created to be Access Point. That adapter is made to be client. It would give you just 1 band wifi.