GL-AR750S as print server

Hi,

I have a GL-AR750S router, and I am trying to add a printer to the router via USB.

I have searched the Internet, asked the support on GLiNet and everything they have provided me to configure, I just cannot get it working. Even tried all the stuff on this form.

Is there someone I could pay to write/type up step-by-step directions for me to configure this (super dummied down instructions).

Running Windows 10
Printer: Cannon MP280 series
Router: GL-AR750S-82a

I am running an OpenVPN Client on the router.
Printer works fine when plugged directly to PC via USB.

Please help, if it works, I will send money via PayPal! TIA!

Try with some linux distro, with debian for example there’s driverless support for printers

I only have this post GL-AR750s - USB Printer

Right, and this is what I have seen and received. Tried it all over many many times and still no luck. looking for someone to dummy down for me to do. Thanks for replying. Appreciate it.

I tried to set up my GL-AR750S as a wireless printer server also, but was not successful after hours and eventually gave up.

I wanted to connect a 15 year-old Canon printer, which is an oldie, but a goodie. I don’t know if that was the problem or not.

Okay, it finally works. (I left and 6 hours later all the printed documents I choose to print came out the printer)

I am going to reset the router and do it again and see if I can get it successfully to print again. If so, I will type up directions.

1 Like

GL.iNet Travel Router (GL-AR750S) USB Printing from Router - 12. 17. 21

(Printer is already connected to router USB port)

1. login to your router via web browser (192.168.8.1)

2. MORE SETTINGS > Advanced

a. download and install Luci

1. SSH (Secure Shell) into your router

A. Download and open PuTTY

1. Host Name (or IP address)= 192.168.8.1

2. accept the PuTTY Security Alert

3. login as: root

4. password: is your router’s password

5. Configure p910nd Print Server in PuTTY

A. enter commands

1. opkg update

2. opkg install kmod-usb-printer

3. opkg install p910nd luci-app-p910nd

4. ls /dev/usb/lp*
    (if configured correctly, results should be= /dev/usb/lp0)

5. back to your web browser of your router (192.168.8.1)

A. FIREWALL > Open Ports on Router

1. Name= enter whatever you like, I entered (USB>WIFI Printing)

2. Port= 9100

3. Protocol= TCP/UDP

4. Status= Enabled

5. Add

B. MORE SETTINGS > Advanced

1. click on 192.168.8.1/cgi-bin/luci

2. Password= enter your router’s password

3. Services > p910nd Printer server

a. enabled= make sure it is checked

b. Device= /dev/usb/lp0

c. Interface= unspecified

d. Port= 9100

e. Bidirectional mode= leave checked <<<------if your printer does not work, this is something to uncheck and try as some printers do no allow bidirectional mode.

f. Save&Apply

1. On PC, start > Printer

A. Add a printer or scanner

B. click The printer that I want isn’t listed

C. add a local printer or network printer with manual settings

D. create a new port= type of port Standard TCP/IP Port

E. Hostname or IP address: 192.168.8.1

F. uncheck= Query the printer and automatically select the drive to use

G. click next, let the computer detect TCP/IP

H. Custom then click Settings

1. Protocol: RAW, Port Number: 9100

I. Pick your printer driver and follow instructions to complete configuration and installation

Final: reboot your router and turn off/on your printer and print something.

Add additional computers to print, follow step 6 on each computer.

reference: [OpenWrt Wiki] p910nd Print Server

5 Likes

Thanks for all your effort to document this, @satheemuah.

I think I tried the same also, except the FIREWALL settings which should not be necessary on the LAN side. I installed the additional packages through the LuCI GUI, but they can be installed through the GL.Inet GUI also.

When I get a chance, I will try it again if only for my personal amusement … hahah.

Unfortunately, it still did not work for me to connect my old Canon printer, both with and without the FIREWALL settings.

By the way, you have typos in 2 places where the Port should be 9100 (not 1900).

bummer,

thanks, corrected.

Is it possible to connect p910nd printer to android phone. I can print from windows with printer connected to gl.inet router with p910nd print server. But it doesn’t work on android, I was using nokoprint app before on my android device when I connected my usb printer with OTG cable, but how do I add it to nokoprint without using OTG again, I want to print from network

I also wonder what will happen when I print file when the printer is offline, after I turn it on, will it be printed? What happens when I send job to printer while its offline, then I turn my computer off and I turn the printer on, will it be printed or not? Is there a way to disable (stop) p910nd print server when USB printer is turned off ( /dev/usb/lp0 doesnt exists)? Because I still see the printer as available in windows even if it’s turned off.

If the printer isn’t on/communicating, the print job will be left waiting in the spooler/print queue of the device attempting to print it… so if you turn off your PC/phone/whatever, the print job will be lost as it’ll be no longer in the local device’s queue.

So the queue isnt stored on the router?
Can I somehow make the thing to disable pritn server (turn it off) when the printer is turned off so it wont show as available on windows

Basic to know:

• If printer does have Internet port that’s mean server printer. (like printer has local Web page)
  • If printer does have USB port that’s mean no server printer. But 50/50 chance connect with router and make sure printer keep power on, no saving power.

I recomend to make own small server for printer via raspberry pi :wink:
Router with small server not sure, issues ram, random crash, low storage, etc.