Wireguard client is in endless loop

Hi together,

I tried to establish a VPN connection to my FritzBox 7590 AX. I use a GL-MT-3000 as a Client and the Fritzbox as a server. But when I apply the config an error message appears:

Thu Apr 11 20:27:33 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wgclient’ is setting up now
Thu Apr 11 20:29:19 2024 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-GIVEUP SHLVL=1 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/
Thu Apr 11 20:29:19 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wgclient’ is now down
Thu Apr 11 20:29:19 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wgclient’ is setting up now
Thu Apr 11 20:29:19 2024 user.notice firewall: Reloading firewall due to ifdown of wgclient ()

And its an endless loop… nothing happen.

My config:

[Interface]
PrivateKey = XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Address = 192.168.8.1/24
DNS = 192.168.178.1

[Peer]
PublicKey = XXXXXXXXXXX
PresharedKey = XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = XXXXXXX.myfritz.net:55154
PersistentKeepalive = 25

Whats the issue?

Best regards!

Debugging WireGuard is mostly impossible.

Please check:

• WireGuard on your Fritz!Box is up and running
  • Port is reachable from the internet using IPv4
  • You don’t use the same network on both ends of the tunnel (so Fritz!Box LAN and GL LAN should be different)

Which version of firmware are you using ?

I am having similar issues with a Slate AX, which was working fine before I upgraded the firmware.
I also observed, as you can notice in the log originally posted, the first “Interface ‘wgclient’ is setting up now” is taking a long time (and maybe timing out ?), which it was not doing for me prior to f/w upgrade.