WLAN speed slow?

Hi,

I am using an AR300M with two mac on WI-FI.

When I try to copy a file between the 2 mac, if I am very close to the router with both I have a writing speed of 8 Mbps and a reading speed of 30-40.

Both mac have an SSD, the WI-FI is on 150 Mbps (I tried with 300 but I did not notice a change), channel 11 and power 20.

Is this speed normal ? In the future I would like to connect a NAS to the router, I am a bit worried…

Moreover, when I am using a VPN my download speed is around 14 Mbps (with a 50 cm ethernet cable cat7 directly connected to the ISP’s modem) it is very very good for a router like that but I expected 15-16 and without the VPN my download speed is around 70 Mbps (If I am directly connected to the ISP’s modem/router without the AR300M my speed is 145 Mbps).

Do you think that I have a problem in my settings ?

Thank you :slight_smile:

The mini router is 100Mbps so 70Mbps on wifi is good enough.

But I am not sure about the mac writing speed. You may test the wifi speed for each mac when connected to the mini router and check if both connection is good.

No no it is 70Mbps via an ethernet cable unfortunately…

I am totally lost. What are the speeds in different situations?

So,

My computer directly connected to my ISP modem with ethernet cable: 150 Mbps

My computer connected to the router with an Ethernet cable and the router connected to the ISP modem with an Ethernet cable without VPN: 70 Mbps

My computer connected to the router with an Ethernet cable and the router connected to the ISP modem with an Ethernet cable with VPN: 14 Mbps

I see.

Openvpn use a lot of CPU power and 14Mbps is a good speed already. AR300M can achieve max 17Mbps

Ok it is fine for me. Thank you :slight_smile: