A new router with 4G LTE and Wifi 6?

I’m avalaible for testing too. From Italy.

I’m definitely interested in this too! I’m in Australia and hoping to have starlink soon but want something with a 4g/5g failover/load balancing… There really isn’t much available other than in the enterprise/cisco realm n the amount of programing involved :exploding_head:

Thank you for your attention, but what do you use this device for

Thanks for your interest in beta testing, my colleague will contact you via email

Thanks for your interesting

Note - not all carriers support eSIM

Alternate would be allow one physical SIM card, and have the other “socket” as eSIM

This obviously needs support of the modem OEM, so eSIM would be optional

Of course … that is why I asked to “include eSIM capability”, not replace physical SIM with only eSIM. This would be the same way as how my Samsung smartphone works.
There are already routers on the market with eSIM capability, so modem chips must be available.

I’d say make it smaller. The current mudi is larger than my phone… I’d say something like Netgear Nighthawk 5G mobile hotspot would be great.

I’d also appreciate if the new mudi won’t turn on everytime I charge it.

I vote to have 2 versions: 4G and 5G respectively.

Volunteering myself as beta tester (From Canada, current user of Mudi (Flint and slate also))

Also ultra interested by an upgraded Mudi :slight_smile: and also beta tester if possible…

What would be also nice is to be able to use it when plugged in. With the Mudi I think it is not very advised…

For me the only downside of it is not so good 5Ghz WiFi sensitivity and speed. Also lack of DFS. Apart from that it’s great device

Also inetrested in beta testing here, from Italy.

thanks for your interest,we will contact you when the test start

2 Likes

Thanks for your advice,we will improve the sensitivity of 5G WIFI for the new product

Also as I remember people were complaining a lot about poor battery life and heat.

However I think this is a bit unfair as by default settings have both radios with highest transmit power configured. When I use only one radio with the lowest power settings I have awesome battery life.

Maybe having a toggle switch “Battery saver mode” that only turns on one radio with low power could be useful.

Still nice to have high power settings when needed though :slight_smile:

1 Like

you got me on the list for the beta as well correct?

Haha, I’ll throw myself in as well.

Hey there!
I’m also on the search for a 5G WiFi Router.
The usecase is a travel-router for my caravan. Therefore my priority is a fast LTE-modem and not so many client-devices.
Another useful feature would be the eSIM support und an optional external antenna.
But I’m totally open for a good product with lower specs and a better price.
If there are more tester needed, I’d love to help.
With regards

i’m a mudi user until a few months ago, mudi became overheating and rebooting after a big drop (but just inside the car), also a cirrus owner.

my ideal mudi replacement should be:
power/battery efficient (so not necessary to have too many router features, such as adguard home or vpn server)
lower temperature
faster battery charging
bigger battery
faster and more stable modem speed/reception
easier controls i.e. touch screen /button control with screen
should not go bigger size than current mudi
should be able to install cake sqm with opkg
wireless ax on 2.4ghz and wireless ac on 5g is good enough if it saves battery/costs

main factors i would choose something like mudi over a smartphone hotspot:
mudi data usage may not count as hotspot data, some carriers limit hotspot data on smartphone hotspots
able to distribute portable VPN connection to connected clients
(Edit) wisp mode also important

1 Like

I love my.mudi and would love to beta test a new one. Honestly if I could install a better LTE card (like cat 14 or cat 16) it would be great. Sadly with it being stuck to pcie this isn’t possible,

Ideally same size, just better wifi, LTE/5G support and a Ethernet port would be great. Iv added antennas to mine for better reception and it does help but the limiting factor is that LTE cat 4/6 card.

Edit: I had a bit more time to sit on the idea and have come up with a few more or extended thoughts.

External antenna connectors. Either as a auxiliary option with internal antennas or just external antennas for better reception. I did this mod on mine and I love the reception this gives with a +9dbi gain antenna set.

Wifi 6 of course since it’s going to to be the new standard.

M.2 support for the LTE/5G card with easy access door maybe.

Easier battery access to hotswap/replace the battery or add a battery extension on it.

Built in Ethernet port for hotel use/modem use to a PC. The dongle is okay but not a common standard type c setup.

Support bigger micro SD cards for smb access for on the go file sharing or streaming on media.

I’ll add more and they come up. I’m willing to buy a card less mudi (without LTE/5G card) to help with costs.

1 Like

One feature request for this new 5G + Wi-Fi6 supported Mudi replacement. Could you make the battery pack an external (or replaceable) one? In the Mudi device page there are already reports of device bulging due to battery swelling with age. This is inescapable, and the only way to avoid this is to make the battery pack external or replaceable at the first signs of ageing/ swelling. Thanks. From India and a willing volunteer as a Bera tester.

Cellular modules should be upgradable.
WiFi should be upgradable.
Use 2 smaller batteries and make hot swappable
External antenna connections
Should have at least ipx67 rating
All ports should be sealed with covers
Trickle charging for off-grid use with solar panels

The real question is what is the price point. People don’t realize that cellular 5g CAT 20 Modems cost over $500+ so you are looking at a $650-750 modem router

4 Likes