Access devices on another router's network with AR750S VPN

Hi, I know this may have been asked already: I tried to search but difficult to find the topic due to generic keywords.

Here is my setup

• ISP modem/router (wifi disabled) 192.168.1.* (with NAS and Hypervisor connected via ethernet)
  • Glinet AR750S running WireGuard Server 192.168.8.*
  • Asus router mesh network which distributes wifi in the house 192.168.50.* (with some other computers and cameras)

If I work remotely and VPN into my LAN using the Glinet, I can see and access all devices in the 1.* subnet but I cannot access any 50.* subnet device.

How can I create a route to the Asus router network?
Unfortunately my ISP modem/router is pretty locked at firmware level and I cannot remove it from the equation, otherwise I would have set it to bridge mode and avoid all this.

Thanks for your help

Both AR750S and Asus connect to your ISP router?

Can you set your Asus mesh in bridge mode? If not can you use port forward on your Asus mesh router?

Yes, both routers are connected to my ISP router.

I am not sure I understand your point: why would I set the Asus router to bridge and lose its routing functionality?

Basically what I need is to be able to see devices connected to my Asus router (192.168.50.* subnet), when I am connected via VPN to my home network using the AR750S (192.168.8.* subnet). How can I make the 2 subnets see each other?

Any device only sees the devices which are part of the parent 192.168.1.* subnet but not the devices in the other subnet

Because you can put all devices in the 1.x subnet. You do not need Mesh router for routing but only for wifi coverage.

Because 8.x and 50.x are two different subnet, they cannot access each other directly. You need to make portforward on your mesh router. For example, your Mesh router get 192.168.1.100 in your main router and your camera get 192.168.50.10 from your mesh router, you need to set up port forward on the mesh router, forward to 50.10.
Then you can access your camera on 192.168.1.100:port

Thanks, now I see your point, but making my mesh router as bridge (or access point) would let me lose most functionalities of the router that I actually use.
Isn’t there a solution to have a full subnet shared across the parallel one?
Another solution I could think of is to have the router to join the VPN when I am away from home in this way they would all get assigned to the 10.0.0.* subnet from the wireguard server, but it’s a workaround I do not really like

Can you indicate how the GL-AR750S Ethernet ports are connected?

WAN port → ISP router
LAN port → ??

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

Sure. Sorry.

Fiber optic cable → SFP module that goes into the ISP Modem/Router (Zyxel AX7501-B0) →
LAN2.5Gbit port (of the Zyxel) → ASUS ZenWifi router LAN2.5Gbit → Wi-Fi devices
LAN1 port (of the Zyxel) → WAN port of the AR750S
LAN2 port (of the Zyxel) → NAS
LAN3 port (of the Zyxel) → VM hypervisor server

I’ll draw it on an excel later if not clear

If my understanding of your network is correct, then I think the following should work:

Fiber → Zyxel SFP → Zyxel LAN 192.168.1.* subnet

Zyxel 2.5GbE LAN port → Asus 2.5GbE WAN port → Asus LAN 192.168.50.* subnet

Zyxel LAN1 port → AR750S WAN port → Wireguard → AR750s LAN1 port 192.168.50.aaa (disable DHCP server) b-> Asus LAN1 port 192.168.50.* subnet

NAS LAN port 192.168.50.bbb → Asus LAN2 port 192.168.50.* subnet

Hypervisor LAN port 192.168.50.ccc → Asus LAN3 port 192.168.50.* subnet

This should accomplish the following:

1. The Zyxel is the Internet modem/router for both Asus and AR750S, but NAS and Hypervisor would not be connected to it
  2. The Asus is the main router for the entire 192.168.50.* network with all the other network devices
  3. The AR750 is the remote access VPN server to the 192.168.50.* network

It is possible that you can leave the NAS and Hypervisor, but I would prefer to keep all the network devices together.

Oh I see your point. You’ve got a great idea there.
Let’s focus on the ASUS and AR750S only. So you are saying put them both in the 50.* subnet. And leave the mgmt of the dhcp to the ASUS only.

Probably what I can do is to keep both with DHCP on but with different ranges in 50.*.

Are you suggesting that I need to also connect the two devices via an Ethernet cable?

It is confusing and not good practice to run DHCP on multiple routers in the same network. The devices that get an IP from AR750S will receive a default gateway of the AR750S IP, instead of the Asus IP. You can disable the DHCP server on the AR750S via LuCi → Network → Interfaces → Edit LAN → DHCP Server → Turn ON Ignore interface.

One of the AR750S LAN ports would connect to one of the Asus LAN ports using an Ethernet cable. Use a static IP on the AR750S.