Access Printer behind Wireguard Client (GL-AR300M)

Hello,

i want to access my printer behind a GL-AR300M running with a Wireguard Client on it. These router is behind my ISP Router and connected via WAN Port

My Configs:

ISP Router:
IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway/DNS: 192.168.0.1

GL-AR300M Router:
IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

How can i connect to my printer from a PC in “Network 1” (e.g. 192.168.0.20) to the printer in “Wireguard Network” (e.g. 192.168.1.142) ?

I have forwarded port 9100 in the firewall from wan to lan. But my PC can not find the printer…

I hope somebody can help me which configuration on the firewall i must apply.

Can you post the port forwarding rule in the firewall?

You have to connect to the GL-AR300M router’s WAN IP address, which is then forwarded to the printer’s LAN IP address.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

As you have Wireguard on AR300M. If you want to access your printer, which is in the Wireguard tunnel, you should use vpn policy and exclue the printer from using vpn.

Then set up port forward.

It may not be necessary to set up a VPN Policy to exclude the printer from Wireguard. The PC-to-printer connection should establish a TCP socket between the 2 devices.

If it does not work, then try setting up a VPN Policy.

1 Like

Sorry for my late reply.

This is my firewall config for the printer:

But it did not work. I also tried vpn policies.

What is the printer model and how are you trying to connect to it?

TCP Port 9100 only works for the RAW printing protocol. For example, Canon and Epson printers may use other ports by default.

It is a Brother HL-L8250CDN. I trired to connect o the router and printer ip address

For Network Printing and Remote Setup only, you can try UDP 137 and UDP 161:

Your printer and my Brother HL-L2390DW are both listed.

1 Like

Edit:

Sorry, but the problem is still there. I can find the printer via network search, but the it does not print. The UDP Ports are open and a vpn policies is also set

If you are using Windows 10 (I do not know how to do on Mac), then can you find what port associated to the printer:

1. Go to Control Panel → Hardware and Sound → Devices and Printers
  2. Right-click on the printer icon and click on Printer Properties
  3. Click on Ports tab and see which port has a check mark next to it

If the port description is WSD Port, then it uses Windows Services for Devices. If the port name is like Standard TCP/IP Port, then it uses TCP/IP.

It seems Windows 10 sets up printers on WSD by default. On my PC’s, I manually set up network printers on TCP/IP:

1. On Ports tab, click on Add Port, then select Standard TCP/IP Port and click on New Port
  2. Click on Next, then enter the IP address for Printer name and Port name (actually the router’s WAN IP address)
  3. When it asks for Additional port information required, click on Custom, then Settings
  4. On the Port Settings, click on Raw, then enter 9100 for Port Number and click on OK
  5. Click a check mark next to the new port

Hopefully, you can print after port forwarding TCP 9100, in addition to the other UDP ports.

2 Likes

Now the problem is solved. Changing port to RAW was the solution.

Thank you very much!

1 Like