AdGuard Home with Wireguard (DNS Leak)

I’m finding that I can’t get Adguard Home to work play Wireguard VPN

I am able to get PureVPN Wireguard client running fine on my A1300 router

However, when I setup AdGuard Home (even if I change the DNS of the Wireguard to point to the gateway IP and set the VPN DNS in upstream DNS servers in Adguard) - it doesn’t work

What I can get to work is setting another DNS in AdguardHome but this causes the DNS to effectively leak - showing, for example, both the VPN DNS and Cloudflare and sites such as Netflix/iPlayer etc won’t work

So I’m really unsure of how to get just the VPN DNS resolving when using it alongside AdguardHome

Hopefully someone has come across this or has tips - otherwise I can only run either AGHome or Wireguard client

Sorry what “Gateway IP” do you mean?

You want to use VPN to bypass IP restriction and use Adguard Home for filtering, right?

Setting up a DNS server in Adguard Home, which will go over VPN, should not cause dns leak. But it may cause troubles for streaming media.

I mean the IP of the router 192.168.8.1 - this makes it use the DNS set in Adguard Home which is set at 192.168.8.1 - if I set cloudflare in Adguard Home it will connect VPN and DNS leak test will show both VPN DNS and Cloudflare

But if I put only the VPN DNS it is offline - but the VPN dns would connect just fine with AGHome off and it set in wireguard

You should not put 192.168.8.1 as the DNS on Adguard Home.

You also should not put the vpn dns in Adguard home, because the vpn dns will generally only be available after vpn is connected.

Generally you should just keep google or other public DNS in Adgaurd Home, which should not cause your dns leak. Better test dns leak using ipleak.net or dnsleaktest.com to see if dns server location is where your vpn server is.

The issue is with PureVPN at least is that it needs to the push VPN DNS or streaming services will not work at all - I’m not setting the 192.168.8.1 in adguard home I set it in wireguard.conf which forced it to use the DNS servers set in AGHome

Just not sure if there’s a way I can force the VPN DNS without fully disabling Adguard Home?

Google dns is used everywhere, which should not be a reason that cause your streaking not work.
I suggest you test dns leak first without adguard home.
Then try streaming.

You can also find out the public dns servers from Purevpn and configure in Adguard Home.