AdGuardHome on a Flint GL-AX1800 needs updating

With VPN running and adguard home activated I have one DNS server shown and its my VPN. I think I responded in a previous post with how to change Adguard home DNS.

A problem I am having is getting adguard home to use a custom rule for client DNS for SmartTVs that want to use a SmartProxy.

That is not the latest Adguard. I already have 0.106.3-1 I am trying to get to the 0.107.2
I have no issue doing it the manual way, but as stated earlierā€¦ There are tons of filesā€¦ Which one and how do you force the Flint to load that one?

If reverting firmware only gets me to the 0.106.3-1 then its not a solution for meā€¦ Maybe they need to patch 3.208 to update properlyā€¦

Sorry I was up so early that morning I fell asleep, still cant get one DNS server on the leak test unless I enter 1 of the servers that are leaked then it shows 1 but internet is slowed down i think its some kind of DNS loop .
Do you use one of the listed DNS settings like NS watch 84.200.69.80 or do you use the VPNā€™ address

No worries, so adguard home has its own settings page when in the router Gl-iNet Graphic User Interface(GUI) its easy to miss. Login in to router go to applications click on adguard Home. At the top there are three lines of text. At the end of the third line almost in the middle of the page the text is blue and says settings page Click it. It will take you to the adguard home Dashboard. click on settings then DNS settings.

FYI donā€™t use the update button to update adguard it loads a 34Mb program and not adguard
package

Yes you are right, I think it is because of the GL-AX1800 running OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 the repository should be update soon. My GL-MV1000W Brume is running adguard home 0.107.1

I got an GL-MV1000W Brume as well but still canā€™t get less than 4 servers with AdGurard on.
On the Upstream DNS servers by default is 9.9.9.9 & 149.112.112.112 and is set to Load Balancing Iā€™ve tried a few of the known servers lists makes no difference, I suspect thereā€™s a little more to it.

I deleted quad9 DNS (9.9.9.9, 149.112.112.112) and replaced with my Nord VPN DNS servers. I also replaced the bootstrap DNS with cloudflare (1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1)

Iā€™m using Nord vpn for my entire network with kill switch engaged and vpn policy

1 Like

I use a NordVPN as well with the openVPN client

I was just trying to figure out how to change my DNS. I did not do it because I could figure out where to make the change. So you say bootstrap? So I guess need to reboot to make it use that? Im Thinking either openDNS or Cloudflare. I ran a DNS benchmark and those looked good. I am also reading to avoid Google DNS. Why? If we are on VPN why does it matter?

btw
I did change the setting from load balance to Parallel figuring that would give me the fastest results. Who knowsā€¦

Screen shot your AdGuard Home DNS setting screen.

Also do you have DNS rebinding protection activated and override DNS settings for all clients activated
If not deactivate adguard home go to custom DNS activate rebinding wait for success then activate override DNS setting for all clients wait for success and reactivate adguard home and run DNS leak test

Hi thanks dine all that on the DNS settings AdGuard by default always replaces the manual setting with 127.0.0.1#3053 but you can never put it in manually never understand why anyway I had to delete that after I disarmed AdGuard the only thing missing is the DNS servers for SharkVPN still looking

I donā€™t think you are accessing the right DNS Settings for adgaurd LOOK AT THE PICTURES and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS I posted earlier also their is a checkbox in LuCi for strict order DNS quires that should be checked.

You computer could also have static DNS setup which could affect things.

Yes got it down to one server I used Cloudflare On the Upstream DNS servers, perfect, thank you for your help.
The last mystery is how AdGuard puts 127.0.0.1#3053 in three places on the internet page in custom DNS and in LuCI under wan in red, it hasnā€™t done it yet though, it just appears ??

127.0.0.1 If I remember correctly is the Proxy setting and #3053 is the port it is listening to for responses. With out getting complicated adguard is a proxy for you DNS quires and only forwards things according to the rules you want enforced.

Good luck with things

The 127.0.0.1 hasnā€™t appeared yet but AdGuard is working and blocking I will check LuCI for the tick box, many thanks

Hello, On my GL-AX1800 FW 4.20, I couldnā€™t update using the GUI too.
On my Netgear router I used to do a manual upgrade using SSH.
This works fine on the GL-AX1800 too.
SSH into your router : root@192.168.8.1

$ cd /etc
$ wget -c https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/releases/download/v0.107.26/AdGuardHome_linux_armv5.tar.gz
# above is one line wget ā€¦ gz and change version number too the latest
$ /etc/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome -s stop
$ tar xfvz AdGuardHome_linux_armv5.tar.gz
$ /etc/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome -s start
$ rm AdGuardHome_linux_armv5.tar.gz
$ reboot

Hi that may be useful for getting into the router when it locks up not very often but Iā€™m sure itā€™s AdGuard that causes it, I have been told twice thatā€™s itā€™s AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz version to use can you confirm that, thanks

a bit late but the AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz does work too.
Do not forget to delete the v5 version because of the limited space

Any idea what the differences are must be very subtle.

no, sorry, just installed it.
perhaps ask adguardhome?

Iā€™ve had this same issue and what consistently works for me is to SSH to the router, go to /etc/AdGuardHome, and delete the agh-backup directory and all contents. You should then be able to use the update button in the AdGuardHome GUI. I think itā€™s a limitation on memory - this process has worked for me for probably the past 6+ updates in the last year.