Any ETA on the AR300m ac?

@LostDog, It is still hot. But it works if you don’t use continuous heavy load.

It should be this week.

@alzahao if it’s just driver problem I’ll like to get one and work with it.

Limited quantity of AR300MD dual-band router is available:

https://www.gl-inet.com/product/gl-ar300md/

Discussion is here:

https://www.gl-inet.com/forums/topic/limited-dual-band-ar300md-for-sale/

I have a customer interested in ordering a few devices (Maybe 25-50 total) from you guys. We would definitely need PoE, and he wanted the 5G option if at all possible. Are there any plans for a 2.4/5 device with an external antenna and PoE support? We have a couple AR-150 PoE units on the way for testing, will see how those work.

@jonathan, there is no such product now. But this should be a product for 2017: AR300M-Dual band-PoE

how do we get just the module? if we already bought the router already?

Hate to necro-post in this thread but I was curious if you looked at other dual-band travel routers out there, namely the TEW-817DTR. Just wondering if you’ve opened one of those up before and checked out the internals. Found some specs here too: TRENDnet AC750 TEW-817DTR review and specifications | RouterChart.com

I already bought a 300m so is there no chance of upgrading to 5ghz in the future?

It would be amazing if someone could CAD up something we could 3d print as a case.

817DTR is small. It uses MT7620A and 7610E. Maybe we can get one and try.

Managed to get an AR300M with same-day delivery so I got to play around with it a bit. I’ve tried hooking it up two ways so far.

The first trial was with my laptop connected to WiFi and ExpressVPN through L2TP. It uses network sharing over Ethernet which goes into the WAN of the AR300M. (Is there a reason this isn’t Gigabit?) Once that’s set up, I can pull about 55Mbps over the WiFi of the AR300M from my phone. This setup will be ideal for sharing a single hotel Internet connection through a VPN for devices in the same room. I’ll probably be watching Netflix on Chromecast for the most part.

The second try was using the AR300M to do the VPN and results were a little disappointing. Again I was using ExpressVPN and I could only pull about 13Mbps over the WiFi of the AR300M. It’s handy that I don’t need my MacBook but I don’t have much use for the AR300M on the go, especially since my phone can run a hotspot.

Both runs were with the AR300M configured for 150Mbps and WPA2. I figured 300Mbps was only going to give me more interference from the channel-bonding since I can’t pull more than 100Mbps through the WAN anyways. Also I updated to Chaos Calmer. Any packages you would recommend?

I have to say, you guys have a pretty neat little product here. I paid $35 for my unit, shipped same-day from Amazon. I would gladly pay more for Gigabit ports, 5GHz, and a metal chassis. I imagine at that point, you would be way over the power envelope of USB 2.0. I imagine a USB-C upgrade would bump that ceiling to 7.5w-15w, depending how the source USB-C was implemented. QuickCharge 3.0 can also pump out 18w.

Again, is there any way for me to enable 5GHz on my AR300M? I read a few things about the D version having heat issues. Are these impossible to resolve due to the casing?

Thanks. AR300M could achieve up to 17Mbps using OpenVpn. Its CPU is not as strong as PC.

Using the current case could not solve the problem of heating. We have to redesign it. We send some AR300M with 5G because people want to play with it. And when using as monitor it is fine.

Gigabit Ethernet will make it router much bigger.

All what you want can be possible. It will be a totally new router.

I guess the “5G 802.11ac addon is coming later” for the AR300M statement is no longer true? I have to buy the AR300MD if I want 5 GHz?

If GL-Inet is designing a whole new router for 5 GHz, it would be awesome to see a board that had PoE as well as 5G. Perhaps it could fit into a case the size of the MiFi or something of the like to allow for this functionality.

Looking forward to future gl-inet designs!

@Yochanan, thanks. We will change the info.

@Justin, yes. PoE + 5G is a good solution. But we don’t think we will use MiFi case. We need a case which is more open and have a lot of big holes for cooling.

How about a new router raspberry pi sized with 2X gigabit ports, wifi atheros chip set? dual 2.4ghz and single 5ghz wifi? 1usb port/1 micro usb for power.

that would be really nice and i bet a lot of people woukd buy it even at a slightly higher price point.

@sifiw, gigabit ports is a problem. Other specs are fine. Gigabit Ethernet needs a separate chip which will make the board very big.

So here is something you will see:

Raspberry pi size router with 100M Ethernet port, Atheros 2x2.4G + signal 5G wifi, USB port + other IO

Double Raspberry pi size router with gigabit ports, Atheros 2x2.4G + 2x5G wifi, USB ports + other IO

hmm the asus tinker board has gigabit. Tinker Board|AIoT & Industrial Solution|ASUS United Kingdom

if you scroll down you can find the datasheet. There are also other sbc’s with it. If you need more I can link you for study?

or if size needs to increase for heat reasons checkout alfa ap121u i think that is a good size board without being far too big.

thank you friend

regards

I didn’t find the size of Tinker board but I think it is similar size to Raspberry Pi. It has a very powerful CPU but not WiFi Soc. It has a separate wifi chip which does the work. But this is not a router and its AP performance will not be that good. It is supposed to work as sta.

alfa AP121 has a metal case and size is 93 x 70 x 26mm. It is only 802.11n and not 5G ac. There is no mention it is gigabit so I think it is fast Ethernet 100Mbps.

The new router we are developing is smaller and dual band. Only problem is gigabit Ethernet is not supported. With gigabit and dual band, it has to be bigger.

ok that is cool thank you for the information my friend :slight_smile:

When are we expecting to see the new product and do you have a list of specs for it?

thank you.

Any ETA for the mini AC router yet? Looks like progress is being made.

I think there will be at least two more months. Both hardware and mold is under design and development.