Any new mini-routers in the pipeline?

Hi,

We’ve been travelling for a while now with an AR300M we bought in 2016 and have been very impressed with it. That being said, over those 4 years there have been a lot of technology improvements. Has there been any thoughts by GL-iNet to produce a new mini-router in a similar form factor but with technology improvements such as:

2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi
Gigabit Ethernet
USB 3
USB C power port

The newer products with these updates are too big and heavy for our carry on only travel requirements. The AR300M and other mini-routers are the perfect size and weight but could do with a Moore’s law refresh update. So would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again for an amazing product!

Paul
carryonrtw.com

While there is no perfect router with all features you need.

AR750s: Dual-band wifi, Gigabit Ethernet, USB2, MicroUSB power

MV1000: Dual-band wifi if you have a wifi dongle, Gigabit Ethernet, USB2, Type C power

MT1300: Dual-band wifi, Gigabit Ethernet, USB3, Type C

These router are all bigger than AR300M.

@ronintech

Biggest issue with putting all this new fangled technology into the AR300M formal factor is heat generation and physical space. That’s why the Creta and Slate, first first dual bands needed the new form factor.

For the additional functionality, the Slate isn’t that much bigger or heavier than the Ar300m

Instead of a solid enclsoure, could you make it mesh to allow airflow to solve the heat issue?

The use case is for digital nomad travelers–so great internet and ultra-lightweight are important.

hi,
the problem with mesh, is that dirt and stuff inside.

How about using Gallium Nitride (GaN) instead of silicon?

Is that applicable? It’s now being used in ultra-lightweight computer chargers and is ~3x more heat efficient Is gallium nitride the silicon of the future? - YouTube

The power stages on all the GL routers barely go above room temperature. The heat is not coming from there, it is coming from the processor. GaN is only useful in chargers cos it increases the maximum temperature the device can run at without needing to protect itself. This is why all the new GaN chargers are much hotter, not just smaller.

1 Like

This is why all the new GaN chargers are much hotter, not just smaller.

I read they’re supposed to run cooler, it’s the lower conversion to heat that makes them more power efficient.

The heat is not coming from there, it is coming from the processor.

Ahh okay. And improving that would require Qualcomm to design a new chip.

FWIW, I’d risk the dust for a mesh enclosure :slight_smile: Or maybe a thin metal one that can act as a heat sink. Just ideas. I’ll buy one of your current routers, but would look forward to any updates of the mini & micro routers!

None of my GaN chargers (i have 3) run cooler than around 50 degrees on the surface of the charger, so you can imagine how hot they are inside.

The GaN chips can handle more current more efficiently yes, but since they can also handle a higher maximum temperature, they are also pushed harder by the designers. Further pushing the designs to be smaller means worse heat management, at least in the current designs.

Silicon has a maximum temperature of 170C (Max TJunction). Higher than that and the heat causes thermal agitation that tends to disrupt chemical bonds. The transistors start to loose their “identity” quickly and degrade in performance. Bonding wires also start to get damaged from the stress of the heat. On the other hand GaN has a maximum temperature of 300C. It is even encouraged to run GaN chips hotter for maximum efficiency (around 220C).

Anyone know why the new Beryl is so much heavier at 184g? Does it have a metal heat sink?

Haven’t received mine so can’t pull apart yet, but the FCC listing shows what might be a couple of big metal heat sinks

1 Like

Thanks limbot, that explains it. Looks like some potential for cooling/weight reduction mods.

i really like my usb150.
so i would like to see a usb300, or a version with 5GHz wifi.

i have been using a raspberry pi zero, as my travel router, as i like to travel light.
that worked well but was clunky needed a usb cable.

so when i started searching the internet for a similar product, i had a very hard time finding out about the usb150.
almost no internet presence, yet such a unique idea.