Any travel routers work with 5G modem enclosures?

Are any of the gli-net travel routers (or even the Flint) able to use a 5G USB modem, e.g. RM502Q-AE, and provide 5G speeds? I found some posts suggesting that the modem would work in the USB but I’m not sure if it would be limited to 3G/4G speeds.

b38c3a9e231e2ce3df6ce9b0c1d2a649f2af4444-0

1 Like

The above GL-M2 is a board build specifically for that purpose. Sadly they didn’t have a case for it so I created that 3D printed case for it. It works great! It only works with certain GL-iNet routers though.

1 Like

USB will be the limiting factor here, I would say.

XHCI is the ports on the flagship devices; didn’t we just see a thread re: someone approach 120 MB/s on a ‘NAS-that-isn’t-a-NAS’? :wink:

That is really cool! Did you need to install drivers on your travel router? If so, how did you do that?
What modem are you using?

XHCI is just referring to USB 3.0. It’s supported out of the box by the GL firmware provided the device has such a port, of course. No additional drivers (kmods, kernel modules, in Linux parlance) needed.

I’m not using a modem. That pic is fr @sharkfi in the thread I linked in my first response.

root@flint:~# lsmod | grep xhci
usbcore               147713 22 option,usb_wwan,rndis_host,qmi_wwan,huawei_cdc_ncm,cdc_ncm,cdc_ether,usbserial,usbnet,ipheth,cdc_wdm,cdc_acm,uas,usb_storage,xhci_plat_hcd,xhci_pci,xhci_hcd,uhci_hcd,ohci_platform,ohci_hcd,ehci_platform,ehci_hcd
xhci_hcd               96355  2 xhci_plat_hcd,xhci_pci
xhci_pci                3643  0
xhci_plat_hcd           4667  0