Any true gigabit gl.inet devices yet?

I have been waiting a long time to see if gl.inet is going to come out with a real, hardware level gigabit interface on any of your routers. Do you have any yet? I know that some come close but they still do not do full gigabit like the gl-ar750 for example. Plenty of posts showing people testing and getting nowhere close to full gigabit.

AR750 is not powerful to get full Gigabit. Is 900+ mbps acceptable or you need more?

The reality is that 900Mbps would probably do but would have me having to explain that it does have such a limit so would not be acceptable to others working on our projects using this hardware. I need something that is truly hardware level gigabit ports.
We often use Intel devices but would love to use gl.inet assuming the price can he held below $100.00.

You can try B1300 which could reach 980Mbps if I remember correctly.

Thanks. I don’t see that listed on Amazon anymore.

That’s the problem with these things, manufacturers keep changing the devices out too fast. It’s nice to see some long term ones like the V2 and the ARxxx for example. In my case, I develop software for some of these things so every time the hardware changes, I lose money having to update my software. I would like to find a gigabit device that will be around for a while but it has to be well under $100.00 otherwise X86 remains the only option.

It is out of stock now. Refilling.

All of my suppliers are having issues with restock. It’s part of the new world, wait for parts hihi.

The B1300 is extremely fast, I got one of those 3 for $75 each deals some months back off NewEgg, best deal I got on there so far!

Thanks for all the input. If the B1300 is under $100, I’ll give it a try once I see them on Amazon again.

The price on the GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 went up recently on Amazon and again now. It was raised to $26.xx and now it’s $28.90. When chips become available again, will the prices go back down or will they always remain at this point?

Hard to tell. When supply of chips is better definitely the price may go down. But, inflation is very high in the past 2 years.

1 Like

I would like to recommend the B1300 as a WAN-gigabit capable router but unfortunately it doesn’t go beyond 300Mbit(iperf tests). I just got it today and I ran iperf with the latest 3.216 B1300 firmware and it just never goes beyond 300mbit/s. I tested the WAN interface on a closed-circuit setup, static-ip settings, removed all firewall rules to maximize speed, etc… no other services were in the way and it just can’t reach to the basic 1 gigabit-speed it is advertised to be (used a short-cable between router and test-machine).

It’s a ** great ** product otherwise, only that it doesn’t come any close to gigabit speeds on its WAN interface.

This is a problem for me because I have a 400Mbit internet connection subscription that works perfect with my traditional router I have been using for the past couple years… I just needed extra features on my front-router but not at the cost of significantly lower speeds.

For users who do not mind a router that doesn’t go beyond 300Mbit/s for its WAN interface, I would definitely recommend this router because it’s filled with many great features… but for anything more demanding than 300mbit for the internet connection, this router would not be able to keep-up. (that is unless company development puts something of a better processor and off-loading chip in it)

note: I didn’t want to revive this old-thread, but for people like me shopping online and seeing really high-reviews on Amazon, I got the impression I was getting a true gigabit-WAN router… unfortunately do not even trust Amazon reviews to fully appreciate the full picture… it is otherwise still a great product, but it doesn’t even come half-way in speed for it’s WAN connection(even with the latest april 4th 2023 firmware upgrade). Perhaps many people buying this router do not have more than 200mbit/s for their internet connection which is why they’re not noticing any problems…

It’s hard to believe this is still a problem but it is. These little routers are great but there is definitely a need for real gigabit ports.
The slate says gigabit but people in forums say not true.

I’ve been trying to find a low cost gigabit mini router but all of them fail to be real gigabit. I don’t need a lot of features or extras, just a nice basic device.

How do you test?

Where is the iperf server and where is the iperf client? You cannot run on the router.
What is the result of speedtest when using your ISP cable?

I don’t belive it is just 300Mbps

iperf on the router is available from the opkg package manager – it can be installed via the luci interface or within ssh. the firewall was stopped (/etc/init.d/firewall stop) and iperf-client was used on external WAN-ip machine.

iperf -i 1 -c 10.99.99.1

the link is very stable, it is a 2.5Gbit-capable network adapter. fwiw it does gigabit speeds with any other machine with a GB nic – just not for the B1300 wan interface which I care about.

ethtool enp4s0

not much was changed in the router, basically just updating the opkg database, setting a static-ip address, intsalling iperf, – and then perform a firewall flush…notice enp4s0 is 2.5Gbit-capable so it should be able to perform much better than the speeds iperf is showing me.

great router otherwise, I just don’t understand why this is still an issue for a router that has been out for a very long time and still gets updates but still has gigabit-speed issues.

@ projects

I think you’re going to want to head over to Youtube/your local Invidious instance & check out Van Tech Corner.

I’ve seen GL gear break 900 Mbps, eg: 2Gbps WiFi Throughput with GL-iNet Beryl AX (GL-MT3000), 2023-05-06

Enjoy.

You should not use iperf on the router. The router is not powerful enough to handle this.

You should use iperf server and client on pc and use the router only for NAT.

A simple Speedtest using speedtest.net or similar is also fine.

I wanted to update my post but you commented before I did :).

I’ve not seen reported speeds as low as this person is saying but even iperf on the router to a local iperf server can accomplish what this person is looking for, the max amount of throughput the interface can actually handle.
Don’t bother using speed testing sites to know something like this, use LAN based tools.