Application Discussion

I’m technical, but I am a noob with Unix. I understand routing.

I have purchased a GL-AR300M to learn. I am unable to flash a clean CC image. The router freezes.

My application is:

-2 x 300M’s, back to back, running OpenVPN; one, the server, running behind my home router (TP-Link C7), and the other in my hotel room. I appreciate that the 300M uses OpenWRT CC. Open Source is important.

-In addition to an encrypted tunnel, I want to wrap my data in SSL.

-Surfing from the hotel room will appear as if I am home.

-USB stick running Samba for “personal cloud storage”, and a music/media server.

-I want to be able to stream video from my TiVo/TWC. For this to happen, I need to appear as though I am on my home network.

I also have a DLink DIR-510L if it helps.

HELP!!!

You need to tell where did you get the clean image, how you flash to the router. Otherwise cannot tell the reason why it freezes.

Yes you can set up one as VPN server and the other as client. Openvpn client is built in the stock firmware. For server, you need to config by yourself.

Seems you want to connect to your home devices as you are in Home. But need to tell if all the devices must in the same LAN subnet. The router can route all the connected devices to your home. But the problem is that it create its own subnet.

I can figure out the subnets. That’s not a problem.

I had some success. I used your instructions at Overview - GL.iNet Docs. I was able to flash a .img and it worked (kind of). In Putty, it asked me to login. I could not find instructions about login and password. OpenWRT suggested that root should work without a password. But it also indicated that LuCi should load fine. Root/<blank> did not work with the CLI/Putty. LuCi did not load properly.

But I am having a problem operating “make menucofig”.

What packages should should I load in menuconfig so that LuCi operates properly?

seems you build the firmware by yourself. In menuconfig, you need to find luci->luci and choose it as *, or press y

If you build your firmware, by default it has no password and you need to use telnet to login. You cannot use ssh, which it asks for a password and you can never login.

After you setup a password, you need to use ssh then. Telnet will be disabled.