AR-750S wan-lan speed - not full gigabit

Hi,

i have a GL.iNet AR-750S and i am testing it connecting a symmetric gigabit network on wan port, in 750S lan i can not obtain full gigabit speed as you can see in the screenshot:

The 750S is clean (just reverted to original fw), latest fw version installed and powered by 5V 2A power supply.

The asymmetry of the result is strange… how can i solve? Thank you.

@MC7
Yes, you are right. Due to the limitation of CPU processing power and the influence of our application, you tested more than 600 is normal. If you want to increase the rate, you need to stop some services

1 Like

Hey @wellnw … which services would you recommend disabling in order to save resources?

@wellnw
how can i stop a service?

@chromebook @MC7
This depends on your use case:
If you don’t use file sharing, you can disable samba
/etc/init.d/samba disable
/etc/init.d/samba stop
If multiple Internet access methods do not exist, you can disable mwan3 and remove the mwan3 software package.
mwan3 stop
opkg remove mwan3
If you don’t need to manage the terminal list, you can stop the terminal process
/etc/init.d/gl_tertf stop
You can even disable web management pages
/etc/init.d/lighttpd stop

1 Like

@wellnw thank you, i will disable samba and test again. If i stop services like terminal list, if i reboot the router that service will start again or not?

Hi
This service will not start automatically unless you re-enable it
example for samba service:
/etc/init.d/samba enable
/etc/init.d/samba start

those are ssh commands ?
can i do this via web interface or luci?

Yes, This is ssh command and you can remove the samba package according to the screenshot below, and reinstall it if necessary.

2 Likes

thanks for the tips!

Would be interested to know what gains people can report from disabling these extra services.

Hi,

May I ask what you tested? Pure switching on the lan interfaces? This gets even much worse if you use the standard openwrt image and test lan/wan with routing and iptables. We tested with iperf on 19.03.7 release and didn’t get more than 300MBit/s on this hardware. So if you plan to have gbit in a default Openwrt setup you really need to go with sth. like the brume hw. We had very good results there close to the gbit speed. Has anyone also made these observations or are there any optimizations we are not aware of that are made by glinet on their AR-750s images?

thanks,
Mischa

Hi,

this is the maximum speed i can reach with original GL.iNet 3.104 firmware, without disabling any service.
This test is made with a gigabit symmetric fiber internet connection.