AR750S OpenVPN client can't resolve remote DNS zone

Hello,

I just setup my AR750S and upgraded to latest firmware (3.025), reset to factory settings then setup the following:

• My desktop computer connected to AR750S via wifi
  • AR750S on WIFI client mode connection to my hotspot to validate connectivity.
  • OpenVPN client settings for my home openvpn server.
  • Enabled OpenVPN connection and it worked.

Desktop client (Windows 10) is able to ping all 172.16.0.xx networks. However I cannot resolve anything that has the DNS suffix “gspot” which I use on my home network.

On my home network, I use common names like “radar” which automatically resolves to radar.gspot

Even though the OpenVPN connection is up, my DNS resolver on W10 host connected to AR750S will not use the OpenVPN DNS resolvers. See below:

>nslookup

Default Server: GL-AR750S.lan
Address: fdef:abab:fec8:10::1

radar.gspot
Server: GL-AR750S.lan
Address: fdef:abab:fec8:10::1

*** No internal type for both IPv4 and IPv6 Addresses (A+AAAA) records available for radar.gspot

server 172.16.0.1
Default Server: [172.16.0.1]
Address: 172.16.0.1

radar.gspot
Server: [172.16.0.1]
Address: 172.16.0.1

Name: radar.gspot
Address: 172.16.0.102

From the router itself:

root@GL-AR750S:/etc/openvpn/ovpn0# nslookup radar.gspot
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

*** Can’t find radar.gspot: No answer
*** Can’t find radar.gspot: No answer

Here is the OpenVPN client settings:

dev tun
persist-tun
persist-key
proto tcp4-client
cipher AES-256-CBC
auth SHA256
client
resolv-retry infinite
remote MYHOSTSERVER 3195 tcp4
lport 0
verify-x509-name “C=US, ST=XXXX, L=YYYY, O=Gserver, emailAddress=admin@derp.com, CN=Remote access” subject
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/ovpn0/auth/usrpwd.txt
comp-lzo adaptive

The expectation should be that AR750S is to use the OpenVPN client’s DNS server to try resolution of any queries by clients. This is not happening. Can you please fix this bug? or tell me what am I missing?

Note that the correct behavior I expect is for AR750S to automatically adapt DNS servers depending on the OpenVPN client it connects to for DNS resolution as primary option… I know I can manually force the DNS resolvers to my 172.16.0.1 (local server if openvpn client connects successfully)

I think I found out that “gspot” needs to be in the Domain Whitelist of advanced settings and then the DNS resolution works.

So the above trick works until I enable “DNS over TLS from Cloudflare” then my OpenVPN tunnel dns resolution seems to not matter.

Could someone help me understand this? “DNS over TLS from Cloudflare” should be used for resolving DNS entries towards the internet but if a VPN is enabled then my OpenVPN settings should apply? Perhaps a different bug?