AR750s Slate dropped from Openwrt tree

I am disappointed that the Slate got dropped (link at bottom). Some work should be done to get it back and to change the current 2mb flashing limitations. Some one did a lot of work here (https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/2184) to try to fix everything, but openwrt is so problematic with review and merges.

Is GL.iNet going to continue supporting this router to have an Openwrt 19.0x firmware? I am amazed that you all have not re-based by now. It would be better to have newer packages and perhaps even support in the ath79 tree, even if only in the glinet repository…

@alzhao
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=ae2d249056bdd7b87169e7c14f54c0c464b1acc5

Incidentally, I am also disappointed that the headers were not populated…

1 Like

Yeah Jeff is here on the forums too @jeffsf . OpenWRT has been lagging with official merges as well, such as the S1300 that has been pending for almost a year. Just recently they started to look at it.

it is still possible to build by just stepping back with git, but the real problem is there is no 19.07 release build or gl-inet clean build, which means that if you want to install a package down the road you have to rebuild

i emailed Jeff and it did not seem that he wanted to get engaged. What would be best is a clean 19.07 release from @alzhao

Checking how to do that.

Our patches are here by now https://github.com/gl-inet/openwrt/tree/openwrt-19.07.2

BTW, we have 1907 firmware for Slate here GL.iNet download center

@brother As Alfie wrote you, check out the GL-iNet github, all the files are there. Even if the OpenWRT team decides to drop a router, that does not affect the GL-iNet updates and firmwares.

Yes, but there is no clean version

I would appreciate it!

Those are the clean versions.

Any chance you’re going to push the E750 support bits as well?

AR750S is dropped because its uboot cannot boot big kernel firmware. We are thinking a way to fix this.

But E750 should not have this problem. We submitted the patch in May but still not yet accepted. We will push.

While this thread is focused on the AR750S, there is also work on the AR300M-NAND target, not sure if that was pushed thru…

@jeffsf - any comments on AR300M?

I can’t see the PR in the OpenWrt repos anywhere - nor can I see your changes in the gl-inet/openwrt repo. Could you please link to it?

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/patch/1588852019-6929-1-git-send-email-luochongjun@gl-inet.com/

1 Like

Great! If you update the uboot, would you also consider adding the netconsole??

Netconsole is a bit of a security risk - handy yes for development, but not for production…

1 Like

I agree, but so is the uboot web interface…

Yeah - less risky with the Pepe-2K WebUI though…

NetConsole is a whole different animal :wink:

1 Like

is there any progress on this?

Working off master… latest log there…

Seem like perhaps yes…

$ git log | grep AR750
ath79: re-enable image generation for GL-AR750S
ath79: improve status LED definitions for GL-AR750
Improve the status LED functionality in GL-AR750
ar71xx: use status led for GL.iNet GL-AR750S
ath79: add support for GL.iNet GL-AR750S when porting the
ath79: GL-AR750S (NOR/NAND): limit factory.img kernel size to 2 MB
The present U-Boot for GL-AR750S has a limit of 2 MB for kernel size.
Fixes: b496a2294c ("ath79: GL-AR750S: provide NAND support; increase kernel to 4 MB")
ath79: GL-AR750S: provide NAND support; increase kernel to 4 MB
The GL.iNet GL-AR750S has been supported by the ar71xx and ath79
The family of GL-AR750S devices on the ath79 platform now includes:
NB: See "ath79: restrict GL-AR750S kernel build-size to 2 MB" which
The GL-AR750S OEM U-Boot allows upload and flashing of either NOR
ath79: GL-AR750S: Add I2C Support
The GL-AR750S has an internal header for I2C.
The GL.iNet AR750S USB and microSD port is currently not working out of
Run-tested-on: GL.iNet AR750S
The GL.iNet AR750S is based around the QCA9563
ath79: align GL-AR750S boardname to other GL.iNet devices
As the official device name is GL-AR750S, rename the board accordingly.
ath79: add support for GL.iNet GL-AR750S
ar71xx: add support for GL.iNet GL-AR750S
This patch adds supports for GL-AR750S.
uboot-envtools: add support for GL.iNet GL-AR750
ar71xx: add support for GL.iNet GL-AR750
GL.iNet GL-AR750 is a small size, dual-band (AC750) router, based on
Qualcomm/Atheros QCA9531 v2 + QCA9887. FCC ID: 2AFIW-AR750.