AR750S - Wireguard update?

Hi,

the Wireguard modules seem to be of 2018-06-25.
There has been 8 WG releases since then.
Since it is in active development, an update would be much appreciated.

I would like to compile the stuff myself but I haven’t worked with Openwrt before
so I don’t know where to start.

Thanks

root@GL-AR750S:~# modinfo wireguard
module: /lib/modules/4.9.109/wireguard.ko
alias: net-pf-16-proto-16-family-wireguard
alias: rtnl-link-wireguard
license: GPL v2
depends: udp_tunnel,ip6_udp_tunnel
root@GL-AR750S:~# ls -l /lib/modules/4.9.109/wireguard.ko
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 151104 Jul 16 06:03 /lib/modules/4.9.109/wireguard.ko
root@GL-AR750S:~#
root@GL-AR750S:~# opkg status wireguard
Package: wireguard
Version: 0.0.20180625-1
Depends: libc, wireguard-tools, kmod-wireguard
Architecture: mips_24kc
Installed-Time: 1537007385

GL only works with the OpenWrt releases, not development branches.

The issue is that wireguard is a base package in OpenWrt, and is linked to the kernel (you can see it requires the kmod-wireguard kernel module).
That means that you basically have to compile the whole thing to get the latest wireguard, but you loose the GL UI.

You can do that yourself if you really need the latest version.

OpenWrt will probably release a new security/fixes update soon, and GL will update to it relatively quickly.

thanks, guess I’ll have to wait for the update.

It seems not much changed. Why do you want to update?

nothing specific except I want the latest bug / security fixes.
especially since wg is in early days.
On ubuntu I get almost weekly updates.

from the wg site:

If you are packaging WireGuard, you must keep up to date with the snapshots.

think its a pity that it cant be easily updated to the latest version.

Will update it if there is critical security bug.

Sorry for necroing, but my wireguard client keep disconnecting after a few days, and the problem is it unable to reconnect. Can’t find the log for troubleshooting. Server is using latest Ubuntu and latest version of Wireguard with default installation (not much can be altered on the config though). I guess by updating the wireguard client on GL can resolve this? wireguard-tools on OpenWrt is already version 0.0.20190601-1

We have found the cause of the problem and will update the test firmware recently

That is fantastic! I’m really curious what the problem is about?
Wireguard is really interesting. On my 20Mbps internet connection, OpenVPN can only reach around 8-12 Mbps, while Wireguard can max it out.

By the way, my router is Mango and Shadow-lite, please make sure you update the firmware of those routers :smiley:

When the network is switched, the routing rules will be invalidated, which makes it impossible to reconnect.

1 Like

Thank you very much @luochongjun, I’ll wait the new firmware for Mango and Shadow :+1:

By the way, any ETA when the test firmware will be released?

I have informed my colleagues to repair it as soon as possible

Any update about this?

Please tell me your email, I will send the firmware to you through email.

Can you please put the updated firmware in the testing directory. Last update was 2 months ago. Thanks.

Yes please release this updated firmware.
There seems to be not much activity in releases of firmware (both stable and testing) for this device. I’m still waiting for the firmware which reliable detects and handles a portal login landing page (like my android 'phone).
Is the AR750S no longer being actively supported ?

Yeah, please put the updated firmware in the testing directory. I would love for the issue to be resolved.

1 Like

Dear friends, We have updated the testing firmware of AR750S to 3.029,it fixed the problem.
Please download from GL.iNet download center and try. Thanks.

1 Like