Are there anyone familiar with Thread and smart home deployment?

We are looking for beta testers with Thread background for the GL-S200 thread border router. It requires some technical experience in smart home deployment. If you are interested in this beta test, please leave a comment below or DM me. We will select testers based on your Thread technical experience.

Thread is still a bit too new for me.

None of my smart home devices have it! I also do not I see a lot of end devices having thread. I do have plenty of smart home things to play with and currently use Zigbee, Z-Wave and some bits even do 433MHz, but Thread is currently still a future thing.

Itā€™s good to see routers for them, but without ā€œend devicesā€ thereā€™s not much to do with a router/border router/leader device. And yes, I do realize it can be a chicken-egg problem.

3 Likes

I do think the ā€™ Espressif Systems - ESP32-H2ā€™ is in more device, than weā€™re aware of.

Iā€™ve looked at Thread Group, too. And there are Amazon, Google, Apple. Brands, at least one device could be at home. Even if they are not tread-compatible, now. And a lot of ā€˜contributorsā€™, like IKEA, ā€˜Implementersā€™ ā€¦
Apart from the Hen-Egg issue, I have trouble to find a source for ā€˜do device xyz supports thread?ā€™ right now. Mostly ā€˜We as company working on thread/matter compability, stay tunedā€™ ā€¦

For every beta test, we will provide a developer kit including a S200 Thread border router and an evaluation board as the Thread end device.

1 Like

Iā€™d be willing to test, I currently use the Brume but also have Home Assistant [Zigbee, Wifi and soon bluetooth when my Yellow arrives] running for the past couple of years in a ProxMox VM. HA is expected to fully support Thread and Matter in the very near future.

Iā€™m based in Ireland.

1 Like

I have an extensive Thread network ā€” consisting of 13 devices + 3 border routers.

Iā€™d love to test using this to bring Thread to my basement, where my current 3 border routers (an Apple TV + 2 HomePod Minis) do not reach. I already have ethernet there (thanks to PowerLine) and WiFi (thanks to a GL-AR300M16-Ext! :blush:). Iā€™d love to create a secondary Thread network in the basement and test how I can make Apple HomeKit Thread devices in the basement work too!

EDIT: obviously I donā€™t want to put an Apple TV nor a HomePod Mini in my basement :crazy_face:

Sorry for not getting back to your replies in time. To be in our Beta Tester program, please submit your info on this page: Beta Testing Program - GL.iNet Our team will get back to you if youā€™re a good fit!

1 Like