AX1800 Slate AX - Which Firmware Version to Use

I have a AX1800 Slate AX running version 4.2.1. I -ONLY- use it as a travel router and only in Repeater mode and 90% of the time with a hotel captive portal.

Generally it’s very stable and I like it. I’m wondering if I should upgrade to 4.4.6. I’ve been following the threads in this forum and I’m leery about doing the upgrade because I’ve read SO many threads about poor/flaky/unstable Repeater mode connections. I’m wondering if I should upgrade or take the “if it ain’t broke, don’t touch it” point of view. :slight_smile:

As just additional information, I also have a MT3000 Beryl that’s running version 4.2.2 that I have given up on using because it is -VERY- unstable trying to use it in repeater mode with a captive portal; it generally doesn’t connect to a hotel captive portal (I have a 4 page printout of ALL the steps to take to force it to connect to a hotel captive portal!) so I simply sigh, think about the money I wasted buying the Beryl (I bought it because it is smaller, lighter, and a smaller power supply than the Slate AX), and continue to travel with the Slate. (As an aside, I just upgraded the Beryl from 4.2.2 to 4.4.6 so I’ll give it another try on my next trip).

In recap, should I upgrade the Slate from 4.2.1 to 4.4.6??

TIA,
Jim

Since you can always go back, jut give it a try and make sure to keep the old fw file downloaded for a quick restore :wink:

https://dl.gl-inet.com/?model=axt1800

Step 1. Make a backup of your current config. Save it on a USB drive.
Step 2. Flash 4.4.6-release1.
Step 3. Download the previous version of stable onto that same USB drive… just in case.