AXT1800 - Bad Screen Mirroring Performances

This is a thing I noticed since using Slate AX.
Casting to a LG smart TV or a Chromecast with Google TV has A LOT of stuttering, viewing it it’s really unpleasant, no matter If I am on 2.4 or 5Ghz Wifi.
With Beryl, I have buttery smooth screen casting performance (it’s locked @30fps on LGTV and @60fps on Chromecast).
Actually my Beryl is on another room, connected to Slate AX trough WAN port and it’s in AP mode.
Well, when connected to Beryl this way, I still have better performance than when I am connected directly to Slate AX wifi…
I am casting with a Poco F3 (tried also with a Mi 11 Lite 5g - same performance differences)
Any idea what could be causing this?

What’s the physical distance between AXT1800 with Wi-Fi client(TV or Chromecast) ? I have experienced before if you put AXT1800 too close to the client side with Wi-Fi connection, it will caused interfering.

Maybe you can adjust the Wi-Fi output power of AXT1800(ex: Max to Medium or so) to give it a shot to see if that’s the problem.

1 Like

Intresting, thanks. I’ll try and let you know :wink:

The default “Max” TX Power on the GL-AXT1800 is 30 dBm = 1 full Watt :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. I set TX Power to “High” which is 21 dBm = 125 mW, but you have finer 1 dBM granularity in LuCI.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

(I suspect only a few people will get this reference, but) “More Power! Unh-unh-unhhhh!” :grin:

Explains why this thing can be seen all over my house, though!

Tried playing with TX power, but nothing changes, performance are the same…

@Dipin @JerryZhao do you have an idea?

Could you make a WiFi speed test for your axt1800?

I’ve done a test with the android app “wifi speed test by zoltan pallagi”.
5Ghz - Slate AX - 695 Mbit/s
5Ghz - Beryl - 645 Mbit/s

Wow. No wonder I often can stay connected while in the gym or lobby at hotels… despite being 2 - 3 floors away! I think I’ll drop this to ‘Min’.

Hi,What’s wifi encryption on the Slate AX and Beryl?

It’s WPA2-PSK on both.

Can you run the following command over SSH on the Slate AX and test it again?

echo net.ipv4.conf.all.force_igmp_version=3 > /etc/sysctl.d/99-igmp-version.conf
/etc/init.d/sysctl restart

uci set network.@device[0].multicast_to_unicast='1'
uci set network.@device[0].igmp_snooping='1'
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart
1 Like

And yeah, that’s it, working flawlessly now! :wink:

Can you help me with some further experiments? I wonder if multicast_to_unicast or igmp_snooping fixes this problem;

Only enable multicast_to_unicast:

rm /etc/sysctl.d/99-igmp-version.conf

uci set network.@device[0].multicast_to_unicast='1'
uci set network.@device[0].igmp_snooping='0'
uci commit network

Only enable igmp_snooping:

echo net.ipv4.conf.all.force_igmp_version=3 > /etc/sysctl.d/99-igmp-version.conf

uci set network.@device[0].multicast_to_unicast='0'
uci set network.@device[0].igmp_snooping='1'
uci commit network

Sure, with only enable multicast to unicast I have better performance than only enable igmp_snooping.
Only enable igmp snooping produces stuttering, at least with my devices.