AXT1800 Ethernet and WIFI Hotel Sharing

Hello,

I’m having trouble working out what the correct configuration should be with my device.

I’m in a hotel, that has an ethernet socket in the room, I’d like to connect the router to this, then have my laptop connected to the router via ethernet and be able to connect my wireless devices to the AXT180 WiFi network.

If I put the router into access point mode, with the hotel ethernet connected to the WAN port, I can connect my laptop over ethernet to the LAN, however WiFi clients do not recieve a DHCP address.

I’ve tried running the AXT1800 in Router mode as well, in this configuration I can’t get an internet connection on either the WiFi or the LAN ports. The router receives a DHCP address from the WAN connection but reports no internet connectivity. If I plug my laptop directly into the ethernet socket, it works fine.

There are no captive portals etc on this network.

I feel like I’m missing something obvious, but after an hour of going around in circles, I just can’t seem to get what I’m after. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

For hotels, I always use Router mode, not Access Point mode.

When the router is in Router mode, do your laptop and wifi client devices each get a DHCP IP from the router and the DNS server IP is the router’s IP? The wired WAN should get a DHCP IP and the DNS server IP from the hotel.

Try to ping IP 1.1.1.1 or to open http://1.1.1.1 to see if the problem is due to DNS. Also, try setting DNS server IP on client devices to 1.1.1.1 which is CloudFlare DNS.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

I’m not sure I fully understand your problem but have you verified that the ethernet port in the hotel room is functional? I’ve heard that many hotels have disabled the ethernet ports in rooms once wifi became available.

The OP said that if he plugs in a laptop to the ethernet socket, it works fine, so the port must be functional. (Remember the olden days when laptops had ethernet ports?) The really surprising thing in the OP is that there is no captive portal.

That’s correct, ethernet socket is fully functional. I’ve been using my laptop to make a portable hotspot in the end. There is no captive portal on either the hotel ethernet or WiFi. I can use my AXT1800 as a WiFi extender, but the hotel WiFi is only 8mbps, whereas the ethernet is running at 700mbps.

‘When the router is in Router mode, do your laptop and wifi client devices each get a DHCP IP from the router and the DNS server IP is the router’s IP? The wired WAN should get a DHCP IP and the DNS server IP from the hotel.’

Yes, this is exactly what happens. My laptop is receiving a DHCP from the router, both the IP and DNS server is the router IP. The wired WAN is showing DHCP address and DNS server from the hotel.

The GL net admin panel says the router has no active internet connection, and I am unable to ping 1.1.1.1 from my laptop.

Really confused about what is not working here! It’s worth noting this is a brand new AXT1800, therefore it hasn’t been tested on a known network at home for example where I can prove it functions as expected.

It sounds like the hotel detects and blocks the connection by a router, instead of a laptop or other client device. There are some ways that is possible, such as checking the MAC address OUI or router TTL. There are reports on the Internet from people who have encountered this in some hotels.

Try spoofing the laptop MAC address as the router’s MAC address.

Was there ever a captive portal here? Are you paying for internet access, or somehow had to register for it?

Really stumped.