Beryl AX (GL-MT3000) won't obtain DHCP lease in hotel in Barcelona. Is this the beginning of the end for Gl-inet?

How did you do that? I think you need to do it from Luci by selecting the right WiFi interface.

since you got an IP to your android device without issues, can you please set that IP and netmask statically to the router? Does it work?

I did it from the web UI as mentioned in the documentation: MAC Address - GL.iNet Router Docs 4.

I’ll try that, yes.

1 Like

Cloning the MAC address of my laptop + manually setting the IP gives me a network connection. I’m disappointed that it took so much work, though.

1 Like

Why does the configuration having to be done via LuCi and not the web GUI? Should the outcome not be the same? Will this solve these routers’ eternal problems with hotel WiFi?

Super helpful info as ever. Many thanks indeed.

In fact, it will also take effect on the repeater interface if repeater is enabled.
It looks like this UI is a little ambiguous and we will discuss how to optimize it.

Thanks for highlighting that !

Just wanted to add for the record that I also experienced this with a brand new Beryl AX (GL-MT3000) on firmware 4.5.0. Like others have said, it only worked after manually setting a static IP address, but this still isn’t ideal. The upstream connection is some kind of ubiquity mesh network. There is no login page for this apartment network and other devices connect up just fine. The beryl appears to connect to the network but is never able to get an IP. Hopefully this will get fixed in an update.

1 Like

Try to change the MAC to something random - maybe they block DHCP requests of GL.iNET devices.

1 Like

I tried a random mac and cloning my laptops mac. Did not make a difference, it still wouldn’t grab the IP.

Could be an issue. Mesh networks are a bit more difficult to connect to.
All in all: Connecting to a strangers network is already tricky - and sometimes it won’t work at all.

This is all a Beryl AX issue. Mango works fine all the time.

Did you test both devices against the same hotel Wi-Fi?

Yes. This is what I’m saying. I travel a lot, literally dozens of hotels every quarter. Beryl AX fails 50% percent of the time. When that happens I use Mango as a backup for that hotel, and it always works (although is way slower).

2 Likes

Interesting. Maybe the Wi-Fi driver is the issue here.

1 Like

Hmm i cannot check or confirm, but does beryl ax also use the mediatek sdk?, i can remember some firmwares had this sdk, because these firmware got shipped with a mtk luci app.

If it is the case, maybe it could be related to this since the mediatek sdk does not fully use OpenWrt system perhaps only a basic set of settings, and the gl sdk implies maybe full openwrt logic rather than iw command or mediateks profiles.

But that can be figured out if you try to check the mac address if you use another owned device for wan.

Try this firmware: Beryl AX at hotel / repeater mode not working - #10 by alzhao

1 Like

Hi,

the new Firmware with the open source WiFi driver works fine. Not the same DHCP issue.
Thanks!

Regards
Michael

1 Like

This firmware also resolved my issue, thanks!

1 Like

This helped me for the above issue: Repeater Will Not Connect - Stuck with "Getting..." Notification - #9 by habakook