Beryl AX at hotel / repeater mode not working

Tried 4.5 RC. No luck.
Now it keeps saying timeout and asking me to reboot the router. This hotel wifi isn’t even using a captive portal. Just password and dishes out dhcp.

Also I notice some bugs with the admin interface as some buttons do not work on my iphone, such as the reboot popup page.

I would recommend to reset the router, installing the most stable available firmware and try again.
It would be helpful if you can describe the steps you did to connect to the Wi-Fi.

1 Like

Sure I will reset. But no ideal. Which means I need to reload all the VPN settings.
Literally this place doesn’t have a captive portal. Also I don’t think I need to clone my MAC address coz there is no device limit. My 2 phones connect to the wifi without problem. The first thing I did was actually to power on the Beryl and connected my phone to it and tried to get the Beryl on the Repeater mode. It connects and not passing any traffic. Tried turning off AdGuard, and doing all the DNS settings too. So it is definitively a Beryl AX issue. And I tested this at home on my Unifi set up, using a guest SSID/vlan (/24 network) and it worked fine.

Start slowly and add more services (like VPN) over time - so you might see where the issue is.

Sure.
But I wasn’t using this at this time.
Again I tested these at home with 1) wireguard to surfshark server 2) openvpn to my home network.
I tried these using a usb cable tether to my Android phone to provide 4G internet access and both worked fine whilst at home.
Thank you.

I have a firmware which use open source WiFi driver. If you want to have a try pls download and install using this link.

3 Likes

This works straight away.
Thank you!!
Though it is my last night here. Will try again in the next hotel.

2 Likes

Is this firmware different from the recent 4.5 release that is now out? Does the 4.5 include the open source wifi driver?

4.5 still have the MTK WiFi driver.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for sharing the firmware which use open source WiFi. As far as I know the router should support EAP WiFi when using open source WiFi driver, however don’t see the option after upgrading to the firmware you provide. Attaching screenshots for reference, thanks and happy lunar new year.

Router information:

• Model: GL.iNet GL-MT3000
  • Architecture: ARMv8 Processor rev 4
  • OpenWrt Version: OpenWrt 23.05-SNAPSHOT r23001+727-38c150612c
  • Kernel Version: 5.15.139

CleanShot 2024-02-11 at 15.03.47

Shouldn’t WPA Enterprise be EAP?

You are right, WPA Enterprise should be EAP after comparing with an old firmware.

CleanShot 2024-02-14 at 15.35.12

I don’t see the “WPA/WPA2/WPA3 Enterprise” option after upgrading to the firmware you provide. I am attaching some screenshots for reference. Is there something I am missing?

We’re talking about connecting to EAP network, not making EAP network?

Yes, definitely. I’ve just bought the Beryl AX, and I’m looking forward to connecting to the hotspot of the hotel I’m going to next week.

Turns out that it is NOT. It is merely this device’s (or rather its firmeware) major shortcomings. And to remember the amount of times I have slammed it against the blooming wall…!

1 Like

Nah, it’s still. The firmware is just part of the problem.

“NAH…”, I think that you should stop trying to make blatantly false assertions and ridiculous excuses for the official firmware not being fit for purpose as clearly demonstrated by @alzhao himself. Looking at previous similar threads, you seem to have the habit of treating users here with utter contempt by making silly statements and treating people like fools.

It‘s not about false statements. It’s just reality that the success of connection depends on the Wi-Fi you are trying to connect to as well.

There are Wi-Fi which will make it nearly impossible. That’s a fact.