Beryl AX MT3000 No Internet using repeater

Using an RT-AX86S on firmware 3.0.0.4.388_22525 and experiencing the exact same issue with WiFi 6 mode enabled.

2.4Ghz works fine. 5Ghz says it’s connected but with no internet.

I’m on v4.2.2. Definitely disappointed, hope this can be fixed.

Try matching the Bandwidth & Channel to the same as the RT-AX86S.

GL GUI → Wireless → 5GHz Wifi → Bandwidth, Channel

having exact same issues.

1 Like

Hi, it has been months since you posted this, can you recommend a solution?

This is a long post, bear with me.

I am testing this at home before my holiday (or return for a refund)

I am using a very old router Asus ac88U (yep, without AX) , connected to the mt3000 via a very long lan cable into the mt3000 wan port configured as a repeater so it takes an IP from the Asus. So this removes the variable of the 2.4g or 5g handshake.

The mt3000 arrived on firmware 4.2 it was a disaster.

It refused to see all the SSID my phone could see. (like 10 others as I live in a high rise apartment.)

I tried protonvpn Wireguard it connected once and absolutely refused to disconnect. I had to reset the firmware.

I look forward to your advice.

1. I should use the same channel number as the main router?

2. You have suggested settings, such as the most stable channel number in Asia?

Sidetrack
3. Do you have suggestion for a sim card 4G/5G modem? The Huawei E353 is not compatible.

The system kept telling me to upgrade to 4.2.3, ok, so I did it via online. After the upgrade…
(I am beside the router doing all the actions below)

I found out how to break the internet immediately. Just use ookla speed test on my phone. It will break the mt3000 for a minute. I guess it reboot?

I disabled the AX (then why pay for wifi6??) so the mt3000 wifi network will only support up to AC. This stabilize the network more but still, the wifi crashes when I do ookla speed test on my phone.

I also set the 5G and 2.4G to identical name and password. This also helped to stabilize connectivity but still cannot survive ookla speed test.

Later today, I will try to share a hotspot via my phone to rule out the Asus router variable.

Tbh right now, adguard or Wireguard is second priority.

@alzhao, at this moment I just want a stable wifi repeater (hotspot and cafe/hotel captive portal) to support 10 devices.

Are you using the original power supły? If yes, could you try another one that’s capable of 5 V/3 A?

@lecmipahu thank you for pointing this out.

Yes I tried a powerbank capable of 5v3a, I tried a charger capable of 5v2.1a, a fast charger QC3.0, and the original.

It must work with powerbank because that is how I want to use it on vacation.

I learnt something. The mt3000 will power on, does not mean it is stable. Mt3000 really needs 5v3a.

Now I am using a qc3.0 charger

Too bad it doesn’t work with your powerbank. Did it work with the QC3.0 charger?

Works great with alll minus the 2.1a charger.

Update: after further testing, I seem to have found the possible culprit. The quality of type C cable and the quality of charger.

Found out by accident when i used my laptop charger at the cafe. It was rock solid stable.

So i used the same laptop charger at home, mt3000 as an ethernet extender with my Asus router… Also rock solid stable with wifi 6 ax enabled.

I think, wifi 6 is power hungry, Asus router somehow is also demanding, when I plug in my phone to be a modem it also demands power.

Not sure why, but in repeater mode, mt3000 can only see half of the AP my phone can see. Cannot even forcibly add the AP.

1 Like

Be sure to enable DFS in repeater options.