Beryl doesn’t appear to pass MDNS traffic

I’m using my Beryl (MT-1300) router with the latest firmware (4.3.10) and nothing using MDNS is discoverable on the router.

I can’t see my Roku, AirPlay targets, Spotify connect devices, or any other devices on the network in their respective apps.

I used the iOS “discovery” app from the App Store which allows you to browse the MDNS domains and it’s totally blank. Typically I would see at least a few items on the list.

Any idea what might be causing this? Do I need an MDNS responder?

Are there others out there using AirPlay, etc with a GLiNet router?

To add, I have no subdomains or VLAN configured. Everything is under the default 192.168.8.1 IP range.

Devices are spread across the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz wifi bands.

I just downloaded the Discovery app, connected over wifi from my iPhone to Slate AX v 4.50, (AFAIK the same release running on Beryl?) and under _airplay._tcp. I can see my Roku, Apple TV and MacBook Air, these are all LAN over Wifi connected. Do you maybe have drop in gateway enabled?

So odd, are you using a default install?

I do not have drop in gateway enabled. I checked just to be sure.

I guess I can factory reset and see what happens.

I did a factory reset and so far everything is working as expected. I can see the various devices in the Discovery app.

I changed the SSID to the one I use and everything is still working. I’m going to leave it like this for a little while and see what happens.

I did change it so the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are using the same SSID but other than that everything is factory.

It’s strange because I don’t make many changes from default so I still don’t know what caused the original issue.

All I do is use NextDNS for encrypted DNS and I loaded a VPN profile. To be clear, both of those were disabled while I was testing and having issues. So no idea why it was happening.

1 Like

Default install router mode, except added VPN client with VPN policy based on client device. My Slate AX does sit behind a primary pfSense router, so DNS is provided by the primary router, but all the MDNS devices are Slate AX WAN clients, so I don’t think the DNS affects anything.

Glad it is working now. I don’t have any proof, but I suspect that some configuration options don’t get reset properly when configuration changes are made. I prefer to think this instead of suspecting user error. :wink:

Ha ha , yeah that might be it. I plan on doing a little more testing to see how things behave with various options. Maybe I’ll narrow it down.

I’m not sure how they setup the NextDNS proxy so maybe that’s a factor? Can’t see it being VPN.