Beryl (GL-MT1300) Wireguard Disconnects, Keep Alive

Hi,

I am using the Beryl (GL-MT1300) router to run a Wire guard Client. I am using Mullvad and Windscribe as VPN servers. My issue is that I am getting between 1 and 10 disconnections per hour. The wireguard connection drops and it takes 1-2 minutes to automatically reconnect.

I have found that if I am in a voip call or have a music stream running, the disconnections do not happen, so there is some kind of disconnect on idle happening. I will get plenty of random disconnects while web browsing. I need a solid connection for work so have been running music streams in the background to keep my connection active, but I want a better, more automatic solution.

Is there something I can do to either troubleshoot the disconnects themselves or make sure there’s a keep alive ping happening from the router? I can see in the VPN setting profile that keepalive is set to 25, but I not know if that is actually happening because it does not seem to be preventing the connection from dropping. I even tried changing it to one second and the connection still drops.
Thanks!

Can you post the System Log (i.e., logread) via LuCI → Status → System Log?

In the meantime, you can try the /usr/bin/wireguard_watchdog script to run every minute in cron as a keepalive:

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

I have added that cron job and will see if it works. I’m not seeing anything specific in the logs when the connection drops, just a reconnect. Are there any ways to get more detailed logging on what shut down a wireguard vpn tunnel?

The logread is usually pretty detailed and you can also look check the Kernel Log (i.e., dmesg).

An alternative to the wireguard_watchdog script is to run the following command every minute in cron:

ping -c 6 -i 10 8.8.8.8 >/dev/null 2>&1

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

Can you let me know the firmware version of your MT1300?

Also, is it possible that you can just try another vpn service to see if this happens as well.