Beryl: Somewhat Slow Repeater Via Dual Band

Hi guys! First-time poster!

I got my hand on this nice little device after my trip to Colombia where I found myself unable to use my Chromecast at the hotel. After countless research hours and digging around, I learned that in repeater mode - which is likely the main role of this device for me - I would get maximum performance by connecting the Beryl to my main router via the 2.4GHz band and then connecting my laptop to the Beryl via its 5GHz band. Even when doing so, without using any OpenVPN or WireGuard protocols, I am getting a pretty large drop in speed. I am seeing a reduction from 160ish mbps to 100 mbps.

I understand that if I were to use the same band to receive and send a signal from the Beryl, my speeds would be drastically affected, which it is. Doing so maxes me out at approximately 40-50 mbps. I definitely noticed a huge increase to 100 mbps by using a dedicated band to receive and one to send. However, is this realistically the best performance I can expect from being in repeater mode? I tried reverting to receive the signal to the Beryl in the 5GHz band and send it on the 2.4GHz band and I haven’t noticed much difference - perhaps a bit worse speeds.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am hoping to have this little guy setup prior to my next adventure in the most optimal configuration.

Thank you in advance!

Can you use 5G to connect to hotel wifi and use 5G for your pc as well?

BTW, you speed is not bad when using in hotel.

The speed issue is not a reason for your Chromecast I think

100Mbps over 2.4GHz band is very good, especially in a hotel. Connecting the same band to both hotel and PC may add latency because the radio does not both transmit and receive at the same time.

I use 2.4GHz to hotel and 5GHz to PC as my mode for a travel router.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion!

I’m testing everything at home, where I get 200/10 mbps service from my 5Ghz WiFi.

When repeating via the Beryl, I am getting 100/10 mbps when connecting to the 5GHz band and 50/10 mbps when connecting to the 2.4GHz band.

I was under the impression that I wouldn’t have such reduction in repeated speeds considering the Beryl is likely using the 5GHz antenna to input signal from the home WiFi and using the 2.4GHz to output the signal (when I connect to that band).

Basically, I expected a 50% drop if pulling and pushing data from the same band, which would happen when I connected to the Beryl via its 5GHz band. However, I expected almost no loss in speeds if I connected to the 2.4GHz band since each antenna would be unimpeded.

Am I missing something?

The GL-MT1300 Beryl is theoretically rated for Max. 400Mbps (2.4G). In practice, real throughput of 2.4GHz wifi never reaches the maximum, given the local factors and environment.

As a comparison, I only get 60-65Mbps upload speed from 2.4GHz on my GL-AR750S-Ext Slate.

But my speeds are well below that maximum throughput… I don’t understand how I am not reaching 200mbps as my base connection.