Beryl + Tethering to S10 5g + Tmobile +?

New here and trying to get some clarification from all the contradicting information I keep coming across. Firstly, thank you in advance for any assistance; it’s greatly appreciated.

Have new Beryl that I would like to tether to an S10 5G on Tmobile. However, I read conflicting information regarding work-arounds regarding TTL and usage from several devices connected to the router. My initial understanding was that this could be remedied by using EasyTether, but now I’m not so sure. I currently have tmobile home internet with good speeds most of the time, but incredibly sloooow, UNDER 1 Mbps, during evening hours and sometimes on the weekends. However, none of the phone devices have any data issues during those times. Rest of the times it ranges mostly from 50 - 150 Mbps to sometimes over 300 Mbps. We cannot deal with the daily slow period from 5pm-10pm and sometimes longer on the weekend.

There are 2 Firesticks streaming, one at 4k; echo dot, Yamaha sounder, MBP, iPad, LG notepad, 2 phones when home. For work, I have to use an iPad and HP notebook for a couple of hours a day and some zoom meetings over them. I have a Mac Pro that I need to reconnect which has 4 x 2TB drives which will be a local storage again. Nothing, other than Alexa, runs 24/7 and usage hoovers around 350GB or more per month. (So far no issues from tmobile with that)

I can use work equipment throw one of the phone’s hotspots as that’s not a concern. The MBP runs behind Mullvad and so will the Mac Pro when it’s back online. I would like to keep them, but if it has to be changed, it can be.

How can I set this up in order to make this work? What steps should I take to work around the provider issues?

Thanks again for any assistance.

As I read, the bottleneck is the cell. If too much connections/traffic at the cell, you have two possibilities:

• Kick out the other cell members (everything beside ‘ask friendly to leave/turn off phones’ i can imagine is illegal).
  • Move to another cell.

I’m afraid there is no other solution.

Think about a highway. If you want to drive to work you are fast. But if a lot of equal people want this too, it will jam. You don’t have any (legal) way to turn on a serine and blinking light on the roof of your vehicle.

Thanks for the info.

How about just the 2 fire sticks, Alexa, MBP…(the Mac Pro will connect, but traffic in/out will be mostly mail and some browser use - all limited since the MBP is what I use the most for internet.) Work stuff can go though my phone’s hotspot since it’s not much and the iPad is hooked up directly to Verizon so I can use that data (I only use mine on it because it’s faster when I have to upload several hundred pics of projects for work at once and that isn’t too big as they go up in small packets)

Would this work?

The issue I’m having is the home internet’s priority being pushed back at peak times. If it at least dropped to 30Mbps, but under 1 (ONE) is like me back on a 2600k dialup.

One of the Firesticks is only on from about 2pm till 10pm the other varies, sometimes more, sometimes less. The same with the MBP, if I’m in the field, it’s not being used. If out at the beach, fishing, golfing or anything else…traffic goes through phone and work gear. Alexa stays on, but I’m going to start limiting her to only be active when someone is home or she can go get a job on South Beach to help pay for more bandwidth.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ah, okay, I understand. You’ll need Qos (Quality of Service) or ‘traffic shaping’:
[OpenWrt Wiki] QoS (Network Traffic Control).

This is unfortunately on my todo-list, I have no experience at this topic, now.
I know I’ve seen a button ‘priority’ in the GL.iNet app. I think on the ‘Clients’ page. But this would be only a little bit of what QoS is.

Bandwidth of 25Mbps is recommended at the high end for 4K TV streaming, with Netflix stating that it needs15Mbps. With steaming services moving to HEVC/H.265 video encoding, the norm will become 15Mbps. Depending on the screen resolution, Zoom requires 6Mbps at the high end for 1080p.

The rest of your Internet usage looks relatively low and sporadic that should not cause the speed to drop down from 50-150Mbps down to <1Mbps. Have you seen a correlation between when the speed drops and when 4K streaming, Zoom, file transfers are occurring?

You can look up “Data usage” in “Settings → Connections” on your S10 5G during slowdown to see if mobile data usage goes up quickly every minute or so (50Mbps for 60 seconds = 375MB).

I don’t think T-Mobile and other wireless providers guarantee minimum speeds and speeds may vary at different times, even for 5G. QoS will increase throughput of high-priority traffic, but low-priority traffic will get worse.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

Thank you both for the replies.

There is no correlation between anything on 4k and the drop in speed. I’ve spoken with Tmobile home internet tech support about 3-4 times a week since I installed the service in November. There’s only been a few periods where it’s bearable during those times and that only lasted a week or so at times.

From what I read around the net, many people are experiencing similar issues, with massive drops in speeds into single digits. I spoke with someone from their corporate office here in the US today regarding this another issue and he couldn’t believe me when I told him the speeds I was getting during certain almost each day. So, I be taking some snap shots of several difference speed test to show him.

I don’t believe that my area would have that many home internet users when from what I see most are contempt being handcuffed to Comcast. Some still have satellites which is beyond me as we get so many afternoon storms here, specially in now in the summer during hurricane season.

I suggested to the rep if it were possible to take my SIM card out of the tmobile gateway and install into a modem/router and he said he didn’t see why I shouldn’t try it. So, I guess I’m returning the Beryl for now and look for something that has. both and OpenWRT and give that a go.

Any suggestions?

I have some doubts whether just moving the SIM card from the T-Mobile gateway to a modem/router would result in significant improvements. If you do try it out, please let us know how it goes.

If I’ve hat rouble with Telekom Internet, I order the most fitting Telekom router, set up a little Linux box (mostly Raspberry Pi) and set up two tools

• smokeping to 3 or more targets (at least one internal and one external plus router), to get a long time overview
  • mtr for more real-time insights on the route, wehen I’ve detected any pattern with smokeping

Mostly I’ve got support from Telekom (business plan) and even got to 3nd Level Support of my private provider.
But this process takes on to 3 Month and a lot of phonecalls (don’t know why the support over email with exact the same content is such a mess, everytime).