Best settings for adguard home?

Can someone share his best Settings for adguard home (general settings, filter…)

1 Like

Each settings are pretty much self explanatory. In my opinion I’d suggest you to focus on the DNS settings in the “Settings”, choose the DNS service provider that you can trust then try and see.

Note

1. Each DNS providers have theirs pros and cons.
  2. Some DNS providers perform better than others in specific regions.
1 Like

Are there any particular issues to be aware of with the default DNS settings?

No I was not sure if I should disable Some settings

Example
Use adguard browsing security Web service under general settings it’s automatic activated I think for privacy maybe better if I disable it

And under dns settings blocking mode it’s automatic on custom ip with a ip adress I think from Singapore I changed it back to Standard now didn’t see it before

For the DNS provider.

If I remember correctly the default Upstream DNS servers and the Bootstrap DNS servers is 9.9.9.9 which is the Quad9.

From what I’ve read the Quad9 is an OK DNS provider. However, I’d suggest you to try Cloudflare DNS provider and see if you can get a lower respons time.

And under the Upstream DNS servers box. There are 3 check boxes. Try each box and see which one give you the lowest response time.

You can check the response time in the Query Log.

1 Like

Example
Use adguard browsing security Web service under general settings it’s automatic activated I think for privacy maybe better if I disable it

-If the browsers you are using already have a similar feature

Safari has that it’s called “Fraudulent sites”.
Firefox has that it’s called “Deceptive Content and Dangerous Software Protection”

So, I’d say it’s safe to uncheck it. I’m pretty confident in Safari on MAC and Firefox.

However, if you have TV or Android box run through AdGuard you can check that box for a protection.

And under dns settings blocking mode it’s automatic on custom ip with a ip address I think from Singapore I changed it back to Standard now didn’t see it before

-I leave that to the Null IP.

2 Likes

Thanks. Changed upstream DNS server to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and used the same for bootstrap DNS servers but I keep getting DNS leak to Google whenever I test. What am I doing wrong?

It shouldn’t leak the DNS unless there is another DNS server in your network i.e., router, laptop your are using. I suggest you to check on those devices.

1 Like

Thanks Nick for the rapid reply. No other router in network but could this be due to VPN also being active on my Gl.iNet?

Where did you checked your dns leak?

Try www.dnsleaktest.com or www.ipleak.net

1 Like

Does your VPN provider use Google DNS service for their DNS resolving? I’ve read somewhere that some VPN providers do that. If so, that explains it.

If not, since I’m new to the GL-Inet product. So, I’d

1.Turn off the router’s VPN see if that fixes the DNS leak problem.

2.Check the “Custom DNS Server” in the “MORE SETTINGS” in the router Admin panel it shouldn’t have anything that overrides the AdGuard’s DNS.

…And are you using the AdGuard Home integrated firmware right?

Sorry, I couldn’t be more help.

1 Like

Thanks Nick for your kind advice which makes a lot of sense. I will look into your suggestions. Much appreciated.

1 Like

It shouldn’t leak the DNS unless there is another DNS server in your network i.e., router, laptop your are using. I suggest you to check on those devices.

Hi I am using https://vpntester.org/meinedns/ to check the DNS i am using and everything seems to be fine.

Just i want to use the AdGuardHome and i dont know which DNS setting i should use to make it working. If i activate AdGuard , it is not filtering anything. seems that my dns settings are not correct.