Best way to do out-of-box setup (language, timezone, password) from CLI?

If I have a lot of devices to configure, I’d rather not go to to the web page for the device, I’d rather do everything from a script instead.

I know I can set timezone and password from CLI. I don’t know about language, I don’t know if this is just the language for the web UI, or if it is a system setting.

Assuming I can set all three of these, is there anywhere else I need to tell the device to never show the initial setup menu again?

Thanks.

I use Ansible. There is a module for setting uci variables I use called lefant.openwrt-uci.

I’m guessing the language is the first one here:

root@GL-AR300M:/var/log# uci show | grep -i lang
glconfig.general.language=‘EN’
luci.main.lang=‘en’
luci.languages=internal

Thank you, I will try this.

And good to know it’s possible to provision using Ansible, it’s on my to-do list to try it :slight_smile:

Here is a GitHub Gist of my bootstrap for openwrt to get you going.

I then have a separate role called openwrt that this bootstrap playbook references. All the configuration goes into that role.

Thanks very much, I’ll take a look!

This is what’s going to keep me buying GL.iNet products … the high quality and technical depth of the users and forums.

“Linksys Technical Support: Please factory-reset your router and if the problem persists, contact the retailer you purchased your product from for a full refund.” :smile:

1 Like