Blocking Ad using Pi-Hole On Brume

Except for AdGuard, you can put Pi-Hole on Brume. Here is how.

Pi-Hole or AdGuard on Brume? Pls try and judge by yoursefl.

First, you need to change the system to ubuntu from OpenWrt.

Then install Pi-Hole.
https://github.com/gl-inet/mv1000-ubuntu-image/blob/master/pi-hole/MV1000%20install%20Pi-hole%20Guide.md

Note the guide didn’t cover DHCP settings. If you cannot set up DHCP in Pi-Hole you may need to use Static IP in all the devices connected to Brume.

Didnt work for me…
After switching to ubuntu and rebooting, there is only ssh left to the router. No LAN / No WAN.
Hard to get pihole like that… :slight_smile:
IP is static…

Propably gonna return the mv-1000 since its not as easy to use as advertised. Get rid of unstable Raspberrys with pihole was the aim, not to aquire an not even working version… :slight_smile:

You probably have an issue with your connections or didn’t follow the Ubuntu install guide properly, works fine for me.

Can you just use openwrt wi th adguard?

We have the firmware ready.

Yeah that too, Adguard is superior to PiHole as you can block not just IP’s but also hostnames and wildcards.

This list is an amalgamation of the most popular blocking lists on the web, without blocking actual services:

https://abp.oisd.nl/

PiHole blocks both hostnames and IP’s. I would argue that Adguard, as a commercial endeavor, is inferior. :wink:

If you look at the date of the post, you would understand back then Pihole did not support blocking URLs. Context matters :smirk::smirk::smirk:

Without searching too hard, this functionality existed well before Nov 2019.

For example, on the Wikipedia page they mention domain and IP blocking since early 2018 (see the dates for the references on functionality):

If you see my entire post, the one you replied, you can see i mean URLs and wildcards. Since a lot of lists use regex and wildcards, those list were not loaded in pi-hole, rendering it pretty useless for high quality lists. They did have regex for custom lists, but it was so badly implemented it was extremely resource hungry.

It also didn’t support dnsmasq’s domain redirecting feature (address=/host.com/#). Their custom dnsmasq version was not configured to use it out of the box, and configuring it was not completely obvious.

Development of Adguard Home was much faster with more features. Only in Version 5.0 has Pihole caught up. The Adguard devs are amazing and in my opinion better than the Pi-hole devs as well. They are team players and love working with companies. Note that Adguard Home is free and open source like Pi-hole.

So again, try not to post to an old thread, things change after 6 months.

Ahh, apologies, thought you meant host-names and IP addresses. My bad. :grimacing:

1 Like

Hi there,

new to the Forum, but already loving my AR750S “Slate”!

I have 2 questions:

• Would Pi Hole work on the AR750S “Slate”, too?
  • Would I need to “erase” the Open WRT install to use Pi Hole (and loosing e.g. the WireGuard functionality)?

Thank much in advance,
thenail

Sorry we go with Adguard and Pi-hole is not support. I believe you can do it some way but we didn’t do that.

You can install adguard on AR750s but this model is not powerful enough to run it smoothly.

1 Like